McCarty 594 sounds...compressed

SlapTappy

I love everything about my used 594, the feel, the look, the sound... But something I've noticed about it compared to my DGT, and even my other Gibbo styled guitars, is that the attack and dynamics seem much more squished/compressed. The sound is brilliant! But it just doesn't "pop" like those other instruments. The sound isn't as touch sensitive when I play soft to loud. I'm wondering if it's down to the high mass bridge (bigger size and saddles compared to ABR)? I even tried my PAF style pickups of choice in the guitar and it didn't really change the sound all that much. That same character was there, so it's not down to the pickups. It's enough that since I've noticed it I'm definitely gravitating more towards my DGT. They're different guitars, though they are definitely tonally in the same ballpark. Has anyone else noticed or experienced this?

I haven’t on either of my 594s. They’re plenty dynamic, but everyone has different taste and expectations.

Maybe try comparing it to some others at your local dealer if possible? I’ve had several 594s and none ever sounded like this. Maybe a setup or bad electronics issue? No idea, just reaching here...

I love everything about my used 594, the feel, the look, the sound... But something I've noticed about it compared to my DGT, and even my other Gibbo styled guitars, is that the attack and dynamics seem much more squished/compressed. The sound is brilliant! But it just doesn't "pop" like those other instruments. The sound isn't as touch sensitive when I play soft to loud. I'm wondering if it's down to the high mass bridge (bigger size and saddles compared to ABR)? I even tried my PAF style pickups of choice in the guitar and it didn't really change the sound all that much. That same character was there, so it's not down to the pickups. It's enough that since I've noticed it I'm definitely gravitating more towards my DGT. They're different guitars, though they are definitely tonally in the same ballpark. Has anyone else noticed or experienced this?

I saw a video recently where PRSh stated that the glue takes a year and a half to dry. Obviously they don't have to wait that long to ship the guitar but I understood it in the same sense that they say the concrete in the Hoover Dam is still drying today after 83 years has gone by. So, maybe just wait a couple of years and see if the tone matures.

I saw a video recently where PRSh stated that the glue takes a year and a half to dry. Obviously they don't have to wait that long to ship the guitar but I understood it in the same sense that they say the concrete in the Hoover Dam is still drying today after 83 years has gone by. So, maybe just wait a couple of years and see if the tone matures.

Of course it also goes without saying that you should make sure the pickup height and string height is set the same as the others. Small details are big details.

Back