McCarty 594 beyond fret buzz...

808stevan

Looking for 911 answers & advice,
I have a McCarty 594, which is my main guitar. I have shows coming up and after restringing it, the first three frets on the e-b-g strings are bottomed out. In fact, the entire action as a whole is mega low and buzzes everywhere else. It looks like the nut is ramped down from the low e to the high e. Thought about shimming it, but not sure if that is really whats going on. Any thoughts or ideas to fix this warp-age?
MAHALO
808Stevan
MAUI

I have a McCarty 594, which is my main guitar. I have shows coming up and after restringing it, the first three frets on the e-b-g strings are bottomed out. In fact, the entire action as a whole is mega low and buzzes everywhere else. It looks like the nut is ramped down from the low e to the high e. Thought about shimming it, but not sure if that is really whats going on. Any thoughts or ideas to fix this warp-age?
MAHALO
808Stevan
MAUI
Sounds like your new strings don’t have the same tension as the ones you replaced. That causes the neck to straighten out. I’d give the truss rod a twist to bring the bow back.

Sounds like your new strings don’t have the same tension as the ones you replaced. That causes the neck to straighten out. I’d give the truss rod a twist to bring the bow back.
Mahalo for this reply. To tell you the truth, the guitar was gifted to me by an old student who ended up with too many guitars. It is an awesome guitar for me and answers to everything I ask it. It came with, I think, 10 or higher gauge and I replaced them with a set of D'addario NYXL 9's this weekend and I lost the any chance of fretting anything in the first three frets. There was a little string buzz before, but slight and I guess now that is because the strings were older. Do you really think if I were to find some 11's that might bring her back to straight without a truss rod twist?
It turns out that I do not have the truss rod wrench that PRS use...I will have to find one of those at the local shop...If I do twist that rod, am I going like 1/4 turn and to the right? like downward toward the G-B-E or toward the Left D-A-E?
I appreciate your help in advance!
808Stevan

A couple things could have happened when you changed strings
1 ) You lowered the bridge , this is common on a two piece bridge
2 ) and or you lower the string gauge.
in both cases a simple set up will likely fix your issues.

First check the neck , capo at the first fret , then fret at the last fret. Look at the 7th fret there should be a small gap ( piece of note book paper ) gap between the string if not adjust the truss rod until there is a small gap.

Second at the 12 fret your acton roughly between .60 - .70 in ( medium - heavy pick ) if you don't have a measuring device.

Go slow make small adjustments , PRS are pretty easy to get to play well.
It also might be worth a trip to a local luther to get a set up.

PRS has some nice videos on You Tube

Thanks for this Rider1260...
I need to know what to tell my local guitar guy..He is asking what sie is the truss rod adjustment tool?
Are they universal for the modern dual action truss rods?
MAHALO
808stevan

This Is A Simple Fix If You Know How To Work On Guitars And Have The Proper Tools. If Not, A Competent Tech Should Be Able To Do A Proper Setup On The Guitar And Solve All The Potential Issues. Worst Case Scenario, Replace The Nut If It Has Been Messed With And Is Cut Too Low To Be Further Utilized.

If You Have Any Truss Rod Wrenches At All, Why Not Give It A Try And See If It Fits?

Thanks Bogner! Yes, I have done them before, but this is about the nicest guitar I ever had, so I wanted to be sure about what I was doing. The wrench isn't a typical allen wrench...It is a socket style and I do not have one. My guitar techie at the music store asks what size it is?
MAHAL!O
808Stevan

This Is A Simple Fix If You Know How To Work On Guitars And Have The Proper Tools. If Not, A Competent Tech Should Be Able To Do A Proper Setup On The Guitar And Solve All The Potential Issues. Worst Case Scenario, Replace The Nut If It Has Been Messed With And Is Cut Too Low To Be Further Utilized.

If You Have Any Truss Rod Wrenches At All, Why Not Give It A Try And See If It Fits?
Aloha Bogner...I found out that guitars made in Maryland use a 5/16ths...Many Thanks for your support!
808stevan

MAHALO
808Stevan
MAUI
The Music Nomad video that Rider1260 posted above is an absolutely excellent how-to instruction on performing a proper setup. And, the guy is using a 594 McCarty as well. Lots of info there with plenty of insider tips on each of the steps.

I stumbled upon this video a couple of years ago after I purchased my McCarty Thinline. I then bought Music Nomad's setup kit and now do my own setup.

Setting up your guitar is nothing to be afraid of. With the proper tools and instruction, even a caveman can do it :). No offense to cavemen.

The Music Nomad video that Rider1260 posted above is an absolutely excellent how-to instruction on performing a proper setup. And, the guy is using a 594 McCarty as well. Lots of info there with plenty of insider tips on each of the steps.

I stumbled upon this video a couple of years ago after I purchased my McCarty Thinline. I then bought Music Nomad's setup kit and now do my own setup.

Setting up your guitar is nothing to be afraid of. With the proper tools and instruction, even a caveman can do it :). No offense to cavemen.
It’s cool. None taken.:)🤘

Back