SE Torero - Low E fret buzz (HELP!)

WoknRoll

Hey guys,

New to forum here and really need some help. I purchased a used (I'm 3rd owner) SE Torero Floyd. it is excellent condition, it plays and feels great. The problem is the low E has buzz from 5th all the way down to 12th. Also, open E buzzes when I strum pick down, NOT when I pick up (weird?). With the naked eye, the neck is straight as an arrow!

I have tried new strings, raised the saddle, adjusted the truss rod and even added shims to no avail. Lastly I gave in and took it to a luthier near me. His fix was almost temporary then it came back (I paid $130?). Because I don't play it often I see realize the buzz came back until months later.

Would sanding the frets around the low E help? I have seen videos on YT where DIY'ers have done that.

I really love the guitar but don't want to spend another $130 or more if the luthier tells me it's something else. And for the guitar's worth (+/- $600-$800) is it worth it to spend extra $$ to get it fixed.. What ever "fixed" is. Or should I send it to PRS to repair, but I'm afraid the cost will be more than the guitar's worth? LOL

Any suggestion or recommendations is greatly appreciated. (not sure how to attach a photo?)
Lai

I would check 2 things ( after I double checked that the relief is correct and the guitar is set to PRS spec for action )

1) Your trem springs might be the Buzz try some soft foam to dampen the springs

2) You might need to shim the floyd nut it might be the bass side is just a bit low

Is the Buzz thru the amp or just acoustic or both ?

I would check 2 things ( after I double checked that the relief is correct and the guitar is set to PRS spec for action )

1) Your trem springs might be the Buzz try some soft foam to dampen the springs

2) You might need to shim the floyd nut it might be the bass side is just a bit low

Is the Buzz thru the amp or just acoustic or both ?

1) I'll look into this
2) I did shim the nut for E/A strings.. same results

Definitely the acoustic..didn't really pay attention on the amp, but will do so now that you said it

His fix was almost temporary then it came back (I paid $130?). Because I don't play it often I see realize the buzz came back until months later.

So if I understand correctly, it was OK after the setup but the buzz came back later? That should point to the neck relief as has been said above. Check that first before doing anything drastic :) Might just need a little 1/8th of a turn.

So if I understand correctly, it was OK after the setup but the buzz came back later? That should point to the neck relief as has been said above. Check that first before doing anything drastic :) Might just need a little 1/8th of a turn.

I'll try it both sides.. however if the neck is straight.. which turn is the preferred?

I'll try it both sides.. however if the neck is straight.. which turn is the preferred?
So ideally you have to measure relief first. Put a capo on the first fret, fret the last fret and measure the space between the string and the top of the 8th fret. It should not touch the fret, but it shouldn't be more space than the thickness of a business card. I recommend getting some feeler gauges so you can accurately measure it, but if you don't have it the business card trick is fine.

Looking down from the headstock to the bridge, you need to turn clockwise to tighten, counter-clockwise to loosen. If your neck is too straight, that means the truss rod is working too hard and you need to loosen it (counter clockwise). If your neck is bowed, so a bigger gap between the 8th fret and the bottom of the string, that means the truss rod needs to be tightened to counteract the strings pulling on the neck (clockwise). So in your case it seems it's too straight, so that would be giving it a counter-clockwise 1/8th of a turn (or less).

Whatever you do, don't use too much force turning the truss rod and don't turn it too much. Go slow. Like I said, it's likely that it only needs 1/8th of a turn.

Lefty loosey, righty righty.

Good practice is to make a small turn loose first, then add a small amount of relief.

Give the neck a couple hours to settle/move, before making any other adjustments eg. action/intonation.

So you’re saying I shouldn’t have used a power drill to adjust my truss rod?

image-asset.jpeg

Make sure the trem handle on that floyd isn't the cause of the buzz.

I had a torero and I could not get used to that floyd.

Back