Maple neck on Hollowbody II?

TRaw

Hey everyone,

For a while, I've been looking to pick up a Hollowbody II to play jazz/soul etc. I love the warmth and woodiness of the HBII with 58/15LTs.

I've been GASsing after a Wood Library Hollowbody II with a stunning flamed maple neck and ebony fingerboard (with the standard maple/mahogany/maple body combo). My only hesitation is whether the maple neck would make the guitar less warm or resonant than the standard mahogany/rosewood combos. I don't mind having a brighter or snappy top end, but I would not want to lose any warmth. Does anyone out there have a HBII with a maple neck ?

Thanks!

A maple neck is the traditional choice for a hollow body. I currently have 2 old ones, and have been playing arch tops since I was 18. Every archtop I’ve seen or played has had a maple neck. Paul knows his guitar history.

A maple neck is the traditional choice for a hollow body. I currently have 2 old ones, and have been playing arch tops since I was 18. Every archtop I’ve seen or played has had a maple neck. Paul knows his guitar history.

Thanks dogrocket! Makes sense. Come to think of it, my archtop--an Ibanez Benson--also has a maple neck (as well as back and sides). But it is a very bright guitar, though that also has a lot to do with the pickups.

I have a JA-15, which is a hollowbody (bigger bodied that a normal PRS HB), with maple neck and ebony board. It is an awesome jazz (and rock) machine!

I would avoid that unless it had a Spruce top to mellow it out and soften the attack.

I have a 16 & 1/2 inch Guild hollow body that has a maple neck, and an all maple laminate body. It gets smoky jazz tones like there’s no tomorrow. I also have an old (1920’s) L-5 copy that barks like a dog. I don’t think you can expect the spruce top to always soften the attack.

I have the exact combo you're speaking of in terms of build. Given the specs of maple top and back, maple neck, and ebony board, I also thought it would produce overtly bright tones. However, it really can capture A LOT of different tones - and warm, woody jazz tones are definitely in there. Acoustically speaking (unplugged), it does ring more bell-like than, say, something with a mahogany neck and rosewood board, but it's nothing like what you'd expect from something built with so much maple and ebony.

Mine is equipped with 57/08's, so plugged in I can get all the array of tones you'd expect from the PAF style pickups. I do think that with the maple and ebony combo, you can get more aggressive tones out of it than your typical HBII, but tackling the warm classic rock tones and jazz tones are definitely possible with this model.

Here's a couple pictures ('cause we all like those, right?)
x94vPZe.jpg

tnGWDK3.jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact combo you're speaking of in terms of build. Given the specs of maple top and back, maple neck, and ebony board, I also thought it would produce overtly bright tones. However, it really can capture A LOT of different tones - and warm, woody jazz tones are definitely in there. Acoustically speaking (unplugged), it does ring more bell-like than, say, something with a mahogany neck and rosewood board, but it's nothing like what you'd expect from something built with so much maple and ebony.

Mine is equipped with 57/08's, so plugged in I can get all the array of tones you'd expect from the PAF style pickups. I do think that with the maple and ebony combo, you can get more aggressive tones out of it than your typical HBII, but tackling the warm classic rock tones and jazz tones are definitely possible with this model.

Thanks @ElrytNamrogo! Great to know. And that's an absolute stunner.

...I pulled the trigger, so I'll update you all when the box arrives. I'm pretty excited; a nice HBII has been my bucket-list PRS for a while now.

Thanks @ElrytNamrogo! Great to know. And that's an absolute stunner.

...I pulled the trigger, so I'll update you all when the box arrives. I'm pretty excited; a nice HBII has been my bucket-list PRS for a while now.

Great to hear!!! Congrats!!!

Funny you mention the "bucklet list" because the HBII was on mine, too. I never really thought I'd actually get one until this one popped up in a local shop for an absurdly low price. I had to jump on it!

Excited to see yours when it lands, you won't be disappointed!

Back