Mann brass block+ installed

Iknowjohnny

I'll just copy and paste this from another PRS forum where i posted my results. John was good enough to GIVE me these parts after i bought the first brass block from him that did not fit ! Now thats customer service ! They have since fixed that issue and he refunded me then sent me a new one attached to a SE plate with USA mounting screws and saddles ! Anyways, for his more then generous deed i felt it necessary to post this at the forum I and a member of but also this one since it appears to be the more prolific one, and i see the OFFICIAL one. I have ZERO association with John, but i just feel i owe this to him for what he did for me. So anyways, heres the post i made at another PRS forum....

If you recall i was the 1st to order the brass block for my SE santana from John a while back and it didn't fit. That was the first batch and they then fixed those issues. And as i had mentioned in the "John is the Mann" thread i posted a while back, he said he would send me a new trem at no charge. I mentioned it was to be a USA cast trem but turned out to be the block on a SE plate with USA saddles and mounting screws. So basically it's like the current USA PRS trem cept for the steel plate instead of brass. So i got to try this stuff out and I swapped parts among both bridges to see what sounded best and which parts were responsible for the tonal differences if any.

What i found it the block and screws were both a big parts of it. Yes, the mounting screws ! I actually found those to make quite a difference over the stock screws with the otherwise stock SE bridge. Still needed more tho and the block brought more goodness. Saddles i wasn't quite sure how big a difference they made. But the block and mounting screws are IMO both vital to get the tone i heard. And that would be a smoother less hard sound. I think if you have an SE that you really love this is a good way to have peace of mind that theres nothing holding it back. A lot like putting a callaham on a mexi strat or the like. Just clears things up and livens it. I was trying to find the best mix of parts, be it the steel SE block with USA saddles and screws or whatever. But in the end only the plate remained from the SE. Good stuff !

Last edited:
I have been tempted to try a one piece trem from john Mann but I am afraid.

certainly understandable. I find it very hard to part with cash for thinks like this or pickups etc. I've just lost so much on things that didn't do what i want. But in the end i usually just break down and do it rather than spend forever wondering. :)

Let me be clear on this. I know the mann trem will be fantastic but I own three trem PRS guitars so it will cost me x 3. I will admit that I don't know how much one is but im guessing I could have a used CE for what they would cost.

Back