Locking tuners - top of post or bottom

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
Ordered some gold Phase 3 tuners for my S2 594 as I don't like the vintage tuners (sorry Paul)

In research there are some vintage locking tuners from StewMac that would work but I have noticed a difference in mechanism.

The Phase 3, like all PRS locking tuners, lock the string to the bottom of the post and tighten from the top.

The Vintage locking are modified so they tighten from the back of the tuner, locking the string to the top of the post.

This is moot 'cos I am getting the Phase 3, and I am still interested in the possible effects the different locking positions may have.

Too much thinking? Probably.

Too much thinking! LOL Really though I'd have to say not much since its pressure from one side or another. Maybe one way would be an easier fix from failure but if a tuner fails I'm swapping the whole tuner or all.

Great idea on the phase 3! I think they are the coolest looking tuners out there and honestly if they weren't so expensive I'd modify every guitar I could with them!

Get the kluson vintage lockers from Mann and be done with it.

I have them on my McCarty and for kluson style lockers these are absolute the best.

AND zero mods AND reversible mod

Back