Lightest PRS doublecut with 4 knobs and switch like an LP configuration?

Jason Kerr

Hey guys, I'm looking for the lightest PRS possible, but I'm partial towards LP style configuration control wise. I want a doublecut, Short scale, fat neck, and if it's doable, a wrap tail? Does PRS make this? What average weight can I expect on one? I know this is alot of request, but I'm fairly new to anything PRS. Cheers.

For Core 594s the lightest I have seen are at 7lbs 14oz.

Someone of the older SC245s (core) had a wrap tail. I think the mccarty 58 as well. Don't know the weight.

My 594 double cut is at 7.4 pounds. Very light for a solid body mahogany. LP layout, thick neck (pattern vintage) with smaller shoulders

Well,

The S2 594 Thinline is the coolest (my bias) , but the selector switch is in a better place (ahead of the knobs)

The Core 594 Hollowbodies are cool too... But you can buy 3 of the S2's for that amount. As much as I like a Core HB II, I'm thinking I'd be better served by the S2 Thinline 594 , and an SE HB II, and still have plenty $$$ for pick up upgrades (assuming you want them... I would not )

Maybe with the leftover $$$ , a Victoria 5112 amp (a Fender Tweed Champ clone, with a 12" driver) beautiful amp ... to divulge all the cool guitar tones from the Thinline and HB II :)

Not sure if anyone has suggested this -

Just a couple of tasters.

I know our own Boscoe France absolutely rocks one of these too.

The Lightest PRS with the 'Les Paul' layout is a PRS McCarty 594 HBii - usually around 5-5.5lbs

This is mine and its just about 5.5lbs

vTZuoJh.jpg

As you can see, it has the 4 knobs (independent Tone/Volume for each pickup), even has the 3-way switch in the 'right' place and the 'best' designed ToM style bridge I have ever seen. Not only does this tick the 'boxes', you also get independent coil splitting for each pick-up giving you more tonal options than 'most' guitars like this...

That sounds an awful lot like an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline, though it's going to have a slightly thinner neck carve than the rest of the 594 line

That is what I was going to say too but now it seems that the OP will need to clarify his tone preference. Solid body vs Hollow body. I prefer light guitars these days but I don't want to have to wrestle with feedback when I'm overdriving an amp, so that means I'd shy away from hollow bodies.

Here's another good excuse to repost a picture of my PRS S2 McCarty 594 THINLINE

PRS_2020-McCarty-594-THINLINE.jpg

That is what I was going to say too but now it seems that the OP will need to clarify his tone preference. Solid body vs Hollow body. I prefer light guitars these days but I don't want to have to wrestle with feedback when I'm overdriving an amp, so that means I'd shy away from hollow bodies.

Here's another good excuse to repost a picture of my PRS S2 McCarty 594 THINLINE

PRS_2020-McCarty-594-THINLINE.jpg

I guess it really depends on the Hollowbody and the amount of gain you are using but I find the Core PRS Hollowbodies to have no feedback issues at all - not to say you can't get it to feedback with more 'ease' than a Solid body IF you want it, but in terms of 'unwanted' feedback, I think its much better than the vast majority of HB guitars.

I don't know if that's purely down to the block under the bridge that 'keeps' the back and top resonating together instead of independently or the fact that its made of 'Solid' wood with 'thick' sides, therefore more rigid overall - not thin laminates held together by curfling to increase the gluing area - maybe both but I don't have the same issue with feedback on either my HBii or 594HBii that I have had in the past with some 'semi-hollow/hollow'made guitars. It could also be down to the body size which isn't that 'big' compared to a lot of HB guitars so the 'hollow' chamber isn't as 'big' either - in any case, I personally find these to be much easier to control feedback and less inclined to give unwanted feedback.

Horses for courses as they say. The Thinline has its merits too as does buying a 'solid' body with weight relief or even a Semi-hollow 594 (for example) to save more weight and basically eliminate the potential risk of unwanted 'feedback' entirely. However, these are both heavier in general than the Hollowbody 594 so its a case of deciding which model is going to suit their needs the best.

'Goose' often use PRS Hollowbodies in their Live performances...

@5:38 Paul himself talks about the design of the HBii and talks about the 'sound post' (Block) under the bridge and that it 'ties' the top and back together so that they don't get away from each other when playing loud and feedback.

Back