Let's talk treble bleeds... (DGT)

I swap between my Les Paul and DGT. Those are my first call guitars.

That’s exactly what I bring to gigs and sessions as well…

For my cover band (classic rock mostly), my DGT and then either my HSS Strat or my tele with muscular pickups (Grissom has said the DGT is a "tele on steroids" after all LOL)

That DGT bridge pickup, on 10, has enough brightness w/o being harsh, thru my Hot Cat it might as well be a Les Paul thru a Marshall.

For my cover band (classic rock mostly), my DGT and then either my HSS Strat or my tele with muscular pickups (Grissom has said the DGT is a "tele on steroids" after all LOL)

That DGT bridge pickup, on 10, has enough brightness w/o being harsh, thru my Hot Cat it might as well be a Les Paul thru a Marshall.
That’s awesome!

I also own a 2020 les paul classic , on the bridge pick up rolling off from 10 down to 6
it goes from medium gain to pristine clean, I wish my DGT would respond the same.
Its the only minor complaint i have with it. The DGT is a far superior guitar to play, but its a signature guitar , its obviously like that by design.
How can this be fixed?

How can this be fixed?
Probably by trying volume pots with different tapers. Vintage Les Paul's have a 10% taper, meaning that a lot of the volume comes in over the last bit of the dial so you can go from fairly clean at 8 to full gain at 10. A 30% taper pot would have a more even, 'linear' feel with the volume increases more evenly distributed. But this would mean you wouldn't get clean until about 4-5 on the knob. I don't know what taper PRS uses, but it's probably between these two. Maybe you need a 10% taper pot? A few companies do them

I find that very rarely I use the same combination of treble bleeds in different guitars. It always depends on the pickup configuration and volume pot taper.

My PRS Custom still has the stock 180pf ceramic cap, and it seemed to work best with all the pickups I had in there. Other guitars can have everything from 220k with a 470pf cap or a 560pf cap, a 1 meg resistor with a 180pf or 220pf cap or in one case a 820k resistor with a 330pf cap - whatever I like for that particular guitar. The good thing is that resistors and caps are cheap, and you do not need high wattage or voltage ratings for guitar electronics so you can get a bunch and experiment.

Have fun,
Stephan

Back