Let's hear some hot stories

Itzed

Many years ago, my luthier told me never leave a guitar in your trunk on a hot day, as it can melt glue, crack wood, etc.. All logical things nobody would ever argue with. But who has actually had that happen? Yesterday I had to drive to NYC for business and I had a 7:00PM band practice, so I threw a partscaster in the trunk in case I was running late (which I was), and didn't have time to go home (which I didn't). I didn't want to chance putting my SA-Studio in a hot trunk all day. But I paid a price at practice with a guitar I was not as happy with or as used to, and I got to wondering if it's really worth it. Logic and fear tell you don't risk a good guitar in a hot trunk, but has anyone really had experience with that, either good or bad?

Many years ago, my luthier told me never leave a guitar in your trunk on a hot day, as it can melt glue, crack wood, etc.. All logical things nobody would ever argue with. But who has actually had that happen? Yesterday I had to drive to NYC for business and I had a 7:00PM band practice, so I threw a partscaster in the trunk in case I was running late (which I was), and didn't have time to go home (which I didn't). I didn't want to chance putting my SA-Studio in a hot trunk all day. But I paid a price at practice with a guitar I was not as happy with or as used to, and I got to wondering if it's really worth it. Logic and fear tell you don't risk a good guitar in a hot trunk, but has anyone really had experience with that, either good or bad?

I have had a bad experience with it, yes indeed.

I had a 1971 Martin D-28 crack in several places along the back just being left in a hot car for a short time (this was in 1972). The neck warped, too. I had to send the guitar back to Martin for repairs. Expensive lesson learned.

If you want to take the risk, it's on you.

Definitely happens with acoustics, and the higher the quality the worse it is.
Electrics (solid body), not so much, but still happens.
If it's your guitar, kinda sucks

I bring my guitar into the office during the day. That way it is not in the hot car. Not sure if you were able to do this.

As an IT guy, I have also had experiences with users leaving their laptops in their cars, in the trunk, and going into a restaurant for an hour, only to come back to find the car had been burglarized and the laptop was gone.

Back in college, I went on a Spring Break camping trip to the Florida Keys with my buddies. I brought along my 2 year old Martin D-35. It sat in the back of my hatchback all day, every day while on the trip, hidden under a blanket, baking in the sun...

I bet you can guess what happened to it...

Absolutely nothing! Not a finish crack, not a split in the wood, not a lifting of the pickguard or bridge, not a damn thing!

Just dumb luck...

Martin D-350001.jpg

Martin D-350002.jpg

Definitely happens with acoustics, and the higher the quality the worse it is.
Electrics (solid body), not so much, but still happens.
If it's your guitar, kinda sucks

Good point, especially with better acoustics...I sell Taylor's and always point these things out to customers...I'd hate to open a case to a split top or loose bridge ...

Back in college, I went on a Spring Break camping trip to the Florida Keys with my buddies. I brought along my 2 year old Martin D-35. It sat in the back of my hatchback all day, every day while on the trip, hidden under a blanket, baking in the sun...

I bet you can guess what happened to it...

Absolutely nothing! Not a finish crack, not a split in the wood, not a lifting of the pickguard or bridge, not a damn thing!

Just dumb luck...

View attachment 1795

View attachment 1796

Can I take you to Vegas?

I wasn't able to take it into the office environment I was in, and I had to leave it in the trunk of my car which I parked in an outdoor open lot in the middle of Manhattan. So that's why I took a lesser guitar. All told, it was in the trunk for about 12 hours, and the temperature was in the 90's the entire time. When I took it out for practice, the actual case was hot, and the guitar was hot, but it survived, and amazingly was perfectly in tune. I would still try to avoid that in the future, and if impossible, would still take a cheap guitar again if I had to. I wish PRS made a cheaper SE bolt-neck guitar with 25" scale.

I think I'd be more worried about it getting stolen to be honest - especially a PRS. I don't leave anything in the car that I couldn't do without.

I had my first PRS, a '96 CU22 in the trunk for a few hours on a trip to a music store. I can't say exactly how hot or how long as it was, but it wasn't a whole day. I got to the store(s) and opened up the case and the guitar was actually wet. Freaked me out. One of the guys working at the store told me to just close the case and let it get back to normal temperature. The guitar never suffered any ill effects as far as I can tell but it scared the sh!t outta me. This was probably a year after I got it.

In the same breath, my guitars have travelled in trailers at times across a few states and never had an issue. I usually follow my rule of letting the guitar get to room temp if the case feels anything besides that. Sorta the same thing with getting a guitar shipped to you.

I wouldn't get in the habit of leaving in a hot or cold car but at the same time these are shipped every day of the week in all kinds of weather. A touring band has them in planes, trailers, etc.
If you can't use it for what it is, a tool, then it's not worth having

I wouldn't get in the habit of leaving in a hot or cold car but at the same time these are shipped every day of the week in all kinds of weather. A touring band has them in planes, trailers, etc.
If you can't use it for what it is, a tool, then it's not worth having

A tool can be very robust but it still needs proper care.
Both very true statements. Reality is that they are shipped and lugged all over. UPS doesn't give a crap about your guitar in a semi trailer or truck for 48-72 hours straight whether it's 0 or 100 degrees. I think it's important to take precautions but...use, don't abuse.

I had the same thought. My PRS came FedEx in a gig bag, bubble wrap and two boxes. And that's not counting how it got to the retailer. I've also had guitars that spent a few days in the equipment trailer, ones in cold damp basement and all did fine outside of some checking.
While I think we need to take good care of our instruments I think solid bodies are pretty robust.

I had the same thought. My PRS came FedEx in a gig bag, bubble wrap and two boxes. And that's not counting how it got to the retailer. I've also had guitars that spent a few days in the equipment trailer, ones in cold damp basement and all did fine outside of some checking.
While I think we need to take good care of our instruments I think solid bodies are pretty robust.

Yes, it's true they are!

But a car gets hotter inside than a large truck or trailer because there are windows and a smaller volume of air.

We all have different standards caring for our gear, and if I err, it's on the side of taking good care of the guitars. What the heck, guys who buy my old guitars are certain to know they've had the best care I can give! :top:

As for you guys who don't do that, hey it's your guitar. Just remind me not to buy one of yours.... ;)

Last edited:
A tool can be very robust but it still needs proper care.

I am kind of robust, but thanks for your concern!

We tend to forget sometimes what these things go through during shipping. Like Vaughn said, if you just let it adapt a bit, all should be well.

Then again, the old-timers may remember the story of FrankiePRS's neighbor's guitar that went through the fire...

Back