Let Love Be Our Song

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
EDIT: Changed title of song to "Let Love Be Our Song". Originally titled "Horror in Lahaina" but the new title is more reflective of the songs message.

I sure wish it was under different circumstances but it is what it is ;~(( As I was playing a set today (Aug 10, 2023), the phrase "Horror Of Lahaina" came to me in reference to the fires that just destroyed parts of Maui. For those of you who do not know what Lahaina is, it is the town on the island of Maui that was destroyed by fire in the wee hours of Aug 9, 2023. When that phrase came to me, I stopped what I was playing and wrote this song. I hope it helps some with the healing from this devastating event. Link, art and lyrics below! All positive vibes to the people of Hawaii and the dozens who have lost their lives and thousands who have lost many other things!!!

Let Love Be Our Song - Copyright August 10, 2023 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

It was a horror in Lahaina
8/9/23
Burnin' acres of aina
Scorchin' the banyan tree

Tears for years will roll
Forever askin' why a
This doom did here unfold

Send love to Lahaina
Patch the hearts that bleed
Show the world da kine a
People can truly lead

Believe in love Lahaina
Know that we are here
With our help and find a
Relief for our fears

8/9/23
Torchin' all of our minds of
What we never again will see

That horror in Lahaina
We must put out that flame
Dig deep and just try ta
Escape the cape of blame

Cuz only love Lahaina
Will let us true move on
Wrap your arms around Lahaina
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
Let love be our song
With our arms around Lahaina
Let all fears be gone​

Last edited:
Nicely done.
I've been there a few times and I'm horrified myself. So much history gone.
Over 1000 people still missing, and after these few tough days it's not lookin' good.
All my mojo sent to Maui.
My favorite town in all of Hawaii! I was just there in January and always stay there when I am on Maui!! So brutal, looks like a war zone, so much lost ;~((

My favorite town in all of Hawaii! I was just there in January and always stay there when I am on Maui!! So brutal, looks like a war zone, so much lost ;~((
I usually stay in Kihei, and it seems to have dodged the bullet, but I ALWAYS go to/spend time in Lahaina because of the rich history, and the fun nature of it.
The Banyan tree is still standing but I have no idea if it's a goner or what.
The biggest issue right now is the missing people, and the housing of the numerous homeless. UGH!!!

Performed this song at two different venues on Wednesday night. One with a solo singer/songwriter friend. That performance did not get recorded but he said he thought the audience really liked it and 2 people in the audience stopped me to talk about the song because of how much they liked it. My buddy did a real good job of supplementing with some nice acoustic guitar pickin' (I was playing chords on my HBII and singing). Then went to another friends show (singer/songwriter with a bass player as well) and the 3 of us performed it (they had never heard it but I trusted them as they are pros and it is a two chord song). Once again, really good crowd response and 3 people approached me to tell me how much they liked it. One guy who I had never met before but is a musician from out of town, asked me if he could keep the lyric sheet after I let him read it and I of course said yes. This performance did get recorded, but it was on a cheap phone and I am not going to put such horrible audio quality out there!

I just "officially" released a new version of this song (with some slide guitar and other additional bits) and it is now available on Bandcamp immediately, and will be available on most streaming platforms in the next 1-7 days. Any proceeds over $20 on this song will be donated to Maui relief efforts related to this disaster. Why over $20? Because until it generates at least that much revenue, I will not even be withdrawing it from the accounts.

Found out today that this song has been getting some radio airplay on a local station! Ran into the head DJ from that radio group and he and his wife both said they really like the song and it has been getting regular play ;~)) I hope it helps some folks deal with this tragedy, that is why I created it!!
That's really cool!

Back