Les' Amps.

I played Marshall’s for years, then I found Mesa. I had a Blue Angel for years, then a Mark V.

I switched to Kemper for portability, and it sounds incredible, but it makes me want to buy all kinds of real amps based on the profiles. I Love the Paul’s amp - is that similar to the HXDA, or is it its own thing? I love the Filmore 50 too.

Last edited:
I played Marshall’s for years, then I found Mesa. I had a Blue Angel for years, then a Mark V.

I switched to Kemper for portability, and it sounds incredible, but it makes me want to buy all kinds of real amps based on the profiles. I Love the Paul’s amp - is that similar to the HXDA, or is it its own thing? I love the Filmore 50 too.
I had a Blue Angel and Mark V as well. Both were terrific!

As I understand it, the Paul's amp was based on the MDT. They're a bit different from the HXDA, though they may be based on similar platforms. The MDT is a truly fine amp, by the way.

I dig the Fillmore 50. It's a great amp. I've said many times, though, when I switch into one of the PRS amps it's like the Mac Daddy shows up. This doesn't diminish the usefulness of the Fillmore, it's all a matter of flavors.

I agree that NOS tubes can sound better, but I've bought many NOS tubes that had issues right out of the box or after just a few hours. Buying from very reputable sellers has led to them giving me a hard time or flat out saying there must be something wrong with my amp. However, putting the pre-existing new production tubes back in the amp they worked fine for many, many hours or years. I need gear that works consistently well and sounds great with new production tubes. I'm not afraid to roll tubes to get good sounds, but have a problem spending big $ for unreliable old tubes.
In all my years of buying NOS tubes, I only had one problem with a tube, and the vendor took it back without any hassle at all.

I find NOS tubes FAR more reliable than new tubes. I've owned a great many, and only had to replace one in the last 20 years (unfortunately, when I sell an amp I leave the NOS tubes in it).

In contrast, new tubes have broken down regularly, frequently, always at the wrong time, and they sound like sh!t with very few exceptions.

Pfft! You already have plenty! Go shopping fergodsakes!
After my big sell off of all my Mesa's, the Vox, the Custom 50 etc. I've seen all the new amps. I wanted a Mesa TC 50, but had just gotten off the Mesa-go-round. Then the Badlander hit. I discovered Louis Electric and the Cobra is one of the greatest amps I've ever heard, but the KR is phenomenal as well, and so are some of his clean amps (Columbia, etc.) Even some cheaper amps have some raving fans... Ceriatone has some modded Marshall stuff that's great, EVH has some amps that are killing it.

So, I watch, and I listen... but prices have gone up to levels that make me just lose interest quickly. I see used Mark V25s listed for $200 more than I paid for mine new. So buying that one back is totally off the table, and that's just one of many...

p.s. My wife is clamping down on the purchase of "luxury items" since we're a couple years from retiring. (He says 3-5 days before her new car comes in. LOL Not that it's a luxury car, but her truck is only 2 years old and she's getting another car already! LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. My wife is clamping down on the purchase of "luxury items" since we're a couple years from retiring. (He says 3-5 days before her new car comes in. LOL Not that it's a luxury car, but her truck is only 2 years old and she's getting another car already! LOL)
Bah! My wife and I both have cars we bought last year! And we're older than you are! I'm sure we have nothing in resources compared to most here.

A player with your astoundingly mad chops needs the best gear, period. You can quote me on that if needed as an excuse. If I had your skills, I'd have a bunch more amps, and sure, I'd have less dough. So what. Life is short, and the best-laid plans of mice and men suck. We all know people who are deader than a doornail who had big plans for retirement.

Get the amps you want. We'll all be dead all too soon. Enjoy life while you have it! Too many friends are dead already. Etc.

There, I said it. So what if I'm carried away by emotion and creativity! Big damned deal!

Do I follow my own advice? I sure as f#ck do!! ;)

Edit: except for string change schedules....

"Most people think you're insane."

"Let them think that. I'm close enough to dead to have thought this through."

Last edited:
Bah! My wife and I both have cars we bought last year! And we're older than you are! I'm sure we have nothing in resources compared to most here.

A player with your astoundingly mad chops needs the best gear, period. You can quote me on that if needed as an excuse. If I had your skills, I'd have a bunch more amps, and sure, I'd have less dough. So what. Life is short, and the best-laid plans of mice and men suck. We all know people who are deader than a doornail who had big plans for retirement.

Get the amps you want. We'll all be dead all too soon. Enjoy life while you have it! Too many friends are dead already. Etc.

There, I said it. So what if I'm carried away by emotion and creativity! Big damned deal!

Do I follow my own advice? I sure as f#ck do!! ;)

Edit: except for string change schedules....

"Most people think you're insane."

"Let them think that. I'm close enough to dead to have thought this through."
Les, I just caught this on the way out the door from work. I wasn’t sure I read it correctly. I don‘t even know what to say. I’m still not sure that you aren’t joking or something. If you’re not, then THANK YOU for the incredibly nice compliments.

Boy, nobody has said anything like that about my playing in years! I’m actually pretty encouraged right about now. And, just finished roasting coffee, so headed to the music room now to jam.

Les, I just caught this on the way out the door from work. I wasn’t sure I read it correctly. I don‘t even know what to say. I’m still not sure that you aren’t joking or something. If you’re not, then THANK YOU for the incredibly nice compliments.

Boy, nobody has said anything like that about my playing in years! I’m actually pretty encouraged right about now. And, just finished roasting coffee, so headed to the music room now to jam.
i literally just asked you to be my talented lead guitarist literally yesterday.

i don’t know about that; i think i can write and record a cohesive set of epics around a bunch of great guitar solos (some people seem to want guitar solos in pop?) and you’re the likely red headed candidate. it’ll be great, you’ll be famous.
I got my license renewed last year. lady at the BMV was a real comedian. She looks at me and says “185? Yeah, that’s about right. At least you didn’t lie about that. But red hair? Ha, that hair ain’t red. HAHAHAHA”. We both had a good laugh. I said “hey, it used to be” and she said “yes, and I USED TO weigh 120lbs. But that was a LOOOOONG time ago.” And we both had another laugh. So, I may not be the red headed, OR the talented lead guitar player you’re looking for. I wish I was talented AND still red headed, but one I’m definitely not any more, and the other is suspect.

I got my license renewed last year. lady at the BMV was a real comedian. She looks at me and says “185? Yeah, that’s about right. At least you didn’t lie about that. But red hair? Ha, that hair ain’t red. HAHAHAHA”. We both had a good laugh. I said “hey, it used to be” and she said “yes, and I USED TO weigh 120lbs. But that was a LOOOOONG time ago.” And we both had another laugh. So, I may not be the red headed, OR the talented lead guitar player you’re looking for. I wish I was talented AND still red headed, but one I’m definitely not any more, and the other is suspect.
i remember when 120 pounds was fat. eh, i still think it would be worth it.

Life is too short not to have the best and most gear that you can afford. :)
Oh, I’m on board… its the wife who says “you have enough.” LOL. And, she’s pretty easy to get along with, but even with stuff like the new car… I was going to buy her a Cadillac or something. She chose a Subaru Outback. She wanted something we could travel in that would last a long time and not cost a ton of money.

Back