Ko Angelus SE 2012 ringing noise from the battery slot

foxx1337

Kr Angelus SE 2012 ringing noise from the battery slot

I just got this cool guitar. After a couple of weeks of playing it, it started to emit a buzzing / ringing from around the battery drawer (not plugged) only near F#, G and G#. I "fixed" this by coating the battery in a thin layer of styrofoam and duct tape, but the noise would still appear from time to time. Is there a better solution? The slot is a bit big for the battery IMO, leaving room for this type of ringing in specific positions.

LE. specified the notes producing it and the fact that the noise is back, after an hour of playing.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem with my '12 SE Angelus Custom. A buzzing / reverberation coming from the battery compartment, and it's worst when I play a G at the 5th fret on the D string. Like foxx, I tried wrapping the battery in some thin foam, so it was a tight fit in the drawer, but it didn't make any difference. I suspect it is actually the drawer / jack socket that is reverberating rather than the battery.

Other than that I am really pleased with the guitar, it has a great sound other than this buzzing noise. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem?

well one could play it with no batter but install the empty holder. if it still has buzzing then it is a batter holder issue. That should be remedied by the manufacture as it is clearlt a flaw. Tayor had a simular issue when the forst generation of ES systems used AA batts. One had to wrap the batts in post it notes to keep them tight enough in the tube to keep from frequency rattling.( buzzing) if it only buzzes with battery in then one needs to try a different method of keeping battery tight. Although it has been sounding to me like a battery box/holder issue. It`s called poor design and not enough real worl trial done ahead of time.

Btw, I studied some more and it seems the ringing comes from the bolts securing the battery compartment. It seems to be solved by loosening them a bit; if this doesn't work I might attempt using some rubber supports between that plastic piece and the body of the instrument.

I guess I'll get a warranty replacement no problem 1-2 years down the road when the compartment will simply fall off due to vibrations.

Ok, this is starting to get to me - here's the sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae2vkL-N7qQ
Every time I try something it's gone for 1-2 hours of play, and then it's back. I can hear the rattle even without the battery (though less obvious). If I keep my finger on the battery holder, any foreign noise disappears.

If you bought it new from a dealer, take it back and either fix or replace. That really sucks. Hopefully you get it resolved.

I think I've narrowed the source of the resonance down to the jack socket assembly. I carefully removed it while leaving the battery drawer in place, and the noise has gone.

I did think about returning the guitar but decided against it because I'm so pleased with the rest of it, and the spruce front on this particular instrument has a particularly appealing grain. Besides, if this is a design fault, another guitar may well have the same problem. Bearing in mind we are early adopters of a brand new guitar and pickup system, I would rather work with PRS to get a proper fix. I've notified their customer support about this thread, let's see what happens.

Last edited:
hawklanding - pretty much my thing too; i put styro-tape around all the places where plastic meets wood and also found a special way (took me several hours) to pad the battery drawer so that it won't ring; if a new pickup system is out, i'll gladly order it and try it on the guitar instead.

Eventually decided to return the guitar to Thomann and try another one - I've just had notification from Thomann that a replacement is on its way :p

Foxx, being in Germany, did you get yours from Thomann? They certainly seemed to be the cheapest place around. The serial number of the one I returned was B3533, was yours anywhere close to this? I wonder if there was a faulty batch...

Foxx, being in Germany, did you get yours from Thomann? They certainly seemed to be the cheapest place around. The serial number of the one I returned was B3533, was yours anywhere close to this? I wonder if there was a faulty batch...

B03316. I got mine retail - almost same price, no need to wait; plus the fact that the ability to test it in-shop might give better chances of useless RMAs. Seems I was wrong on this one. Regardless, I foamed the **** out of it and it's good so far. Should anything happen down the road I might ask Thomann for a replacement set of plastics (the lcd and the battery piece). I'm really not thinking of giving it away since it seemed to me to be design and not bad luck when I took it apart for the foam job :)

My replacement guitar seems to be ok, I've played it a lot over the last 2 weeks and it is still buzz free. I do tend to agree with you, foxx, that it is a design issue, so will be listening carefully! I have to say I was impressed with Thomann's RMA process - according to their tracker they dispatched my new guitar within 8 hours of receiving the faulty one.

Good to know! I'll keep my eye open for them next time I'm in the market for music components. Enjoy!

Back