Angelus SE

Mike Lopez

I just wanted to post this to hopefully clear up some confusion about the construction of a couple of the Angelus SE models. I own a Angelus SE Standard (2012) and a Angelus SE A50E. I have read posts both here and elsewhere claiming that Angelus SE guitars are constructed on the backs and sides using "plywood." The origins of these posts seem to be from the cork sniffing, "I have a solid wood guitar" crowd. I just spoke to PRS customer service and they related the following. The PRS SE Standard b/s's are constructed using three plies of mahogany and no filler. The A50E uses two plies of maple and the center is one ply of mahogany. For the uninformed should take note that there is no reference to poplar, plywood etc. used in the construction. I have been playing for 60 years and have owned countless guitars and I do not consider myself an expert by any means, but I do know what sounds good. In the last 2 1/2 years I have purchased 3 Taylor's, 1 Takamine, and 1 Yamaha acoustic that were constructed of solid wood and have sold them all. I can tell you that NONE of those guitars could hold a candle to my Angelus SE's period. I unfortunately fell for the propaganda that unless a guitar is solid wood it will not sound good. This post is primarily directed to the guitar store commando's who feel it necessary to expose their limited knowledge on forums when they have no first hand knowledge of the guitars in question. This post is also for the other PRS Angelus SE owners who know and understand that it does not matter where the guitar was built, but who built it. In closing, anyone who has owned a PRS guitar knows first hand the true meaning of quality.

Hi, Mike, thanks for maintaining your beliefs regards the PRS SE line of acoustics.

Whenever someone speaks out against something, I either ask them to describe why they feel that way (which intentionally draws them out into a viable and meaningful discussion), or I speak my own mind, trying to answer their perceived questions with some facts readily available online. Sometimes, since images or videos speak louder than words, I might offer a YouTube video describing why I think PRS is perceived as "good as or better" by guitarists.

Here are several videos that PRS themselves provides on YT for your benefit:

Simply search PRS A40E, A50E, and A60E.

I think this will help you make your case against the less knowledgeable folks who may not have heard the quality of PRS SE guitars.

Thank you for your reply but the main reason for my post was to address the misinformation about the construction of the guitars. These videos that you provided along with many others on the web do not explain how or the materials used in the construction. These videos do not address that. My point was not how they sound but how they were built. My message that was that there are people who post things that unfortunately some peiple

Thank you for your reply but the main reason for my post was to address the misinformation about the construction of the guitars. These videos that you provided along with many others on the web do not explain how or the materials used in the construction. These videos do not address that. My point was not how they sound but how they were built. My message that was that there are people who post things that unfortunately some people take that as gospel that are blatantly false. My intent was for THOSE people was to become educated on the topic before they post information that is incorrect. If this post does not apply to you than I suggest you ignore it.

I agree with you on the point of where these guitars are made. The Cor-Tek Plant in China is doing amazing work with these guitars and the SE Hollowbody II's. And, as I have said before, If Paul didn't feel they could handle the job, he would have looked elsewhere.

As the owner of an OG SE Angelus, I can confirm the poster’s sentiments. Other than a set of bridge pegs, I’ve changed nothing on the guitar. It is responsive to string selection and changes character accordingly. Especially for the price point, this is a sound investment. Sure, the magic of a PS Angelus may not quite be here, but at 1/10th the price - or way less - it stands on its own character. If you can find one, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

I would like to make a correction to the post I made yesterday. The Angelus SE Standard back is solid mahogany and the sides are three plies of mahogany. This construction method is used by some manufacturers such as Takamine. The A50e back and sides are maple/mahogany/maple. Again there is no poplar or "plywood" used in the construction. There is no such thing as "plywood" used in construction and appears to be nothing more than an over used term and a talking point for some people that apparently feel a sense of superiority because their guitar is solid wood. The term "plywood" is used in certain circles with such disdain, it sounds as if they are talking about someone with a STD. At the end of the day please remember " it ain't the arrow it's the injun." Practice often and you will play well.

Technically speaking, anytime 3 or more layers of laminate wood are glued and pressed together it is plywood. The kind that most people are associating (incorrectly) with guitar construction is like you mentioned or the stuff found in lumber outlets.

The 3 ply maple/mahogany/maple or (other top wood) was formed to serve 3 purposes
* Appearence
* Tone transmission
* Strength

The use of this type of ply also reduces cost, as it is easier and cheaper to produce thin laminate sheets than thicker slabs reduced to the correct size (less waste). Laminate ply also aides in stabilizing the face wood during the drying and curing and finishing processes.

You are correct Wakester. I might add that some of the most expensive guitars are built with laminate b/s by some very notable luthiers. These guitars are very desirable for both their tone and quality of construction. These guitars, like PRS guitars, are both well designed and built with top notch materials and construction methods. The result is an excellent guitar with tone that in many cases is better than much more expensive guitars. What gets a burr under my saddle is the constant use of the term "plywood". Unfortunately for a new player or someone with less experience, this means that the manufacturer cuts up a 4X8 sheet of construction plywood, slaps a sheet of wood on either side and viola, you now have a guitar. This is disengenuous at best. My purpose is to make others aware if the facts and not take as gospel the posting if some that misinformed. Thank you Wakester for your input, it is apparent to me that this is not your first rodeo either. My hope is that everyone be responsible and research the facts before posting misinformation.

It’s very easy to take information as the gospel truth on the internet, as it is in written form and in our minds because it’s written down then it must be correct.

In general, most members here are a valuable source of genuine information and ideas.

However I totally agree that information should be well researched before sharing.

Thank you A. Rubna for your input. As a senior member of the guitar slingers union I feel a responsibility to share accurate information to others that may not have the benefit of years of experience. I understand that most members are well informed and knowledgeable. My message is to others that don't fall into that category is simple. If you are not sure of the information you are posting, be responsible enough to get the facts straight instead of something that is incorrect or based on a particular bias.

I truly believe that educating the public goes a long way in preventing misunderstandings and misconceptions. This holds as true in my chosen profession (Fire Protection), as it does in any other like Guitar Manufacturing. I understand everyone has their "Trade Secrets", but in general the processes are the same and can be easily explained to educate. If we have the knowledge and the patience, we should teach.

My purpose was to teach and educate others. In my chosen profession (law enforcement and now retired) I was assigned to several positions that involved me training and teaching others. In those assignments (ie: firearms instructor) I had to exercise copious amounts of patience in training and education. These duties and others, if not taught correctly, could result in much more disastrous results than investing ones hard earned money on the wrong guitar because of misinformation. So please don't school me on "patience and training" as I took great pains to get my message out there without hurting anybody's feelings so if you are not one of those that is guilty of posting misinformation, than this does not apply to you.

We are good. It just really is aggravating to me when someone purchased the wrong guitar ( or anything else for that matter ) based on bad information that was posted by someone that has never played, or much less owned, the guitar in question. I have had this experience in the past and believe me I was one unhappy camper. I truly hope that bringing this to light will prevent someone that does not have the experience or knowledge from making the same mistake. I have often read posts by someone seeking information on a guitar that are interested in buying and instead gets a response from a guitar shop commando that responds with something like this: I have never owned, played or even seen that model but blah, blah, blah. I know this to be true because I read it in a fellow guitar store commando's post somewhere else so it has to be true.

We are good. It just really is aggravating to me when someone purchased the wrong guitar ( or anything else for that matter ) based on bad information that was posted by someone that has never played, or much less owned, the guitar in question. I have had this experience in the past and believe me I was one unhappy camper. I truly hope that bringing this to light will prevent someone that does not have the experience or knowledge from making the same mistake. I have often read posts by someone seeking information on a guitar that are interested in buying and instead gets a response from a guitar shop commando that responds with something like this: I have never owned, played or even seen that model but blah, blah, blah. I know this to be true because I read it in a fellow guitar store commando's post somewhere else so it has to be true.
I get ya. People need to rely more on actual experience then on conjecture based opinion. Likewise, those that know the truth should speak it. Those that don't, should remain silent.

Back