Just in time for Halloween - Bats!

xjbebop

Yippy ki yay...
I was digging out a few 'scary' guitars for our display wall a few days ago, and pulled out my SE Paul Allender, which I hadn't seen in quite some time!

kGVdm2r.jpg

This was my very first PRS guitar! I remember being enamored by the purple quilt and the bats!
I know that the bat inlays never got much love around here, but I'm still very impressed with them. They are extremely well done, and very different / unique.

0S1z8OV.jpg

7C6lhtH.jpg

Early on I swapped the tuners for some Sperzels with open gears.
They are super light and I felt they added to the 'goth' look of the guitar. this was a few years before the PRS phase iii tuners came out.

47VqQPk.jpg

It's even been autographed by Mr. Smith...

nBzjC1A.jpg

I'm not big on 24 fret gittars, but this is one I'll always keep....

Be scary my friends...Happy Holiday!!!!

Those bats are totally awesome! I wish I had known about the bats when they were available

I always liked the bats. Not sure why I never picked up this guitar. I thought they were active pickups, did they come with passives in some configurations? I know the one I saw at Chuck's had actives...

I`ve seen them both ways, Peter. They really don`t get much love because of the bats, but I like them as well.

I always liked the bats. Not sure why I never picked up this guitar. I thought they were active pickups, did they come with passives in some configurations? I know the one I saw at Chuck's had actives...
This is AFAIK/IIRC. I've been hankering for a Paul Allender for a while, just never found the combo of features I wanted.

The earliest PAs had flat quilted tops with passive pups, and a rosewood neck.

In 2010, the pickups changes to active EMGs.

Around/at the same time, the flat top changed to the current rounded/beveled edge SE style (or similar enough), and the quilt was swapped for tight-ish flame.

Also in 2010 the fretboard was changed to ebony, although the 2010 catalog says Rosewood, but the product page from 2010 and 2011 says ebony and I have seen lots of 2011s/2012s described as ebony FB, so maybe a typo in the catalogs? Not sure how long that lasted, looks like it reverted to rosewood in 2013. Model was discontinued after 2014.

Some of this info harvested from the wayback machine, thankfully!

Thanks for harvesting all of that information!

Yeah, I'm actually extra curious about that now, because I'm interested in trying the Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi pickup set, and figure they might go in a guitar that's already set up for active electronics a little easier...and they do come in a 6, believe it or not. Will have to consider.

This is AFAIK/IIRC. I've been hankering for a Paul Allender for a while, just never found the combo of features I wanted.

The earliest PAs had flat quilted tops with passive pups, and a rosewood neck.

In 2010, the pickups changes to active EMGs.

Around/at the same time, the flat top changed to the current rounded/beveled edge SE style (or similar enough), and the quilt was swapped for tight-ish flame.

Also in 2010 the fretboard was changed to ebony, although the 2010 catalog says Rosewood, but the product page from 2010 and 2011 says ebony and I have seen lots of 2011s/2012s described as ebony FB, so maybe a typo in the catalogs? Not sure how long that lasted, looks like it reverted to rosewood in 2013. Model was discontinued after 2014.

Some of this info harvested from the wayback machine, thankfully!

I believe this is all correct. I actually owned one of the second generation for awhile. It was gorgeous, but it got moved along at some point...

fPTAyLR.jpg

Oh yes! Must give the Allender some play time tonight! Technically it's my wife's guitar but she does encourage me to give it some attention every so often.

bats-quilt-bridge.jpg

bats-midneck-quick.jpg

That is beautiful, I am really very jealous. I'm guessing the chances of buying something like that in the UK are next to zero

That is beautiful, I am really very jealous. I'm guessing the chances of buying something like that in the UK are next to zero
Check your classifieds. I have no idea how many were sent to Europe/UK, but you may be surprised.

Back