just bought a used PRS goldtop

Shay Hadar

[h=5]i just bought a used PRS goldtop SC and wanted to know more details about it (year, wood, pickups and so on...) the serial number is - 6112695.

if here isnt the place to aks i would like you to tell me where, thanks!
[/h]

Hey man, that serial number would make it a 2006.

About the specs, I think all 2006 SCs came with #7 pickups, mahogany body with maple top (anyone please correct me if I am wrong).

You can check the serial numbers here: http://prsguitars.com/csc/year.html

Send pictures :)

Last edited:
thanks for the answer. the guy i bought the guitar from said it made from maple top and koa, and that the fredboard is brazilian or indonezian roswood. but there isnt like a mail adress to PRS where i can send them my serial number and they will tell me all the details for sure?
oh and here are the pictures :)
10172712_10203553986993329_784177687_n.jpg
10245437_10203553987273336_834263681_n.jpg
1505074_10203553987513342_1728722404_n.jpg
[video]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1524682_10203553987873351_2058825721_n.jpg[/video]

PRS guitars have a code inside that will tell you it's specs called a MODCAT (model catalog). You have to pull the pickups because they put the MODCAT in the pickup cavities.

It should look something like this: SLM2FAHFIET_FR_HB-BS , but your letters and numbers will be different.

Once you have your codes, decide them here: MODCAT-Decoders

I'm guessing your MODCAT will be something like SCM2F-MTIDS_GT_N7-77.

But I'm thinking that it is highly unlikely that there is any koa on your guitar. That guitar way built to be a player, not a museum piece. It's a work horse and should give you years and years of enjoyment! Congrats!

Last edited:
Thanks for the commets :)
another question - there is no swich botton to seperate the pickups into single coills, but the guy who sold me the guitar told me they are build well to sound good in single coills and i only need to take it to a guitar engineer guy who will make me the option to swich between singels and bumbackers. what do you think? can this act be dangerous to my guitar?

Hey man!! Congrats on the sweet singlecut!! About single coil switching...its just switching a pot to a pull pot. Not dangerous to guitar at all :) Lots of PRS guitars do this!

Hey man!! Congrats on the sweet singlecut!! About single coil switching...its just switching a pot to a pull pot. Not dangerous to guitar at all :) Lots of PRS guitars do this!

Not exactly true. The #7 pickups don't split. You could have a good tech put a wire in between the coils, but it will require more than just adding the push/pull. You could put in pickups that do split (like SC245's) and then adding the push/pull will work.

Welcome, Shay! That's a very cool gold top!

If it's an '06, it will have mahogany back, maple top, mahogany neck, and Indian rosewood on the fingerboard. You will have to get different pickups if you want to split the coils.

However, it's such a great guitar as-is, I'd live with it a while before deciding on whether you need to do that. One thing to work with (you probably do this anyway) is to use the volume and tone controls, because if you lower the volume on the guitar you can get much cleaner sounds that may make you not want to bother changing out the pickups.

Anyway...enjoy it!

Nice guitar! Welcome to the forum. Stick around, and you'll soon find out you need another couple PRS guitars. :eek:

Back