John Renbourn

IKnowALittle

Was reading Guitar World and discovered that John Renbourn had passed away in March. Not really popular and unlikely that he would be known by many on the forum, he was an incredibly talented guitarist.
In the late eighties, when I was 19 or so, the first song that I learned outside the tradition of Merle, Doc, DVR or Country Blues was "Faro's Rag". Man, that was a tough nut to crack.
Ever the eccentric, he always danced to his own drummer and sang his own tune.
I always considered him to be the British John Fahey.
Seems that all the great musicians from that era are passing on. Inevitable of course, but still sad and a loss.
RIP my friend, you taught me a bunch.

Last edited:
I loved John Renbourn's stuff too. I was also a fan of Pentangle, his acoustic group with the great Bert Jansch, who also recently passed away. Kudos to you for learning that material!

I loved John Renbourn's stuff too. I was also a fan of Pentangle, his acoustic group with the great Bert Jansch, who also recently passed away. Kudos to you for learning that material!

Thanks.
I didn't know that Jansch had passed also. While working on "Faro's Rag", I was also learning "Angie". Was also trying to learn some of Davey Graham's and Peter Finger's (cool name) material, but I recall they used a lot of altered tunings, which was just too much stuff at once at the time.

Last edited:
Back