There Was A Composer From...

László

Too Many Notes
There was a composer from Michigan
Who thought that he was a musician!
While mostly ignored
The pictures got scored,
His music was partly tradition!

I give you a new piece, finished today, called Syrinx.

You'll be amused to know that Syrinx was the name of an Ancient Greek mythical nymph admired for her devotion to virginity, and is also the medical term for a fluid-filled cyst.

While I have my own feelings about this coincidence, I decided to go for broke and name the piece Syrinx anyway.

You are free, of course, to decide for yourselves whether the piece is reminiscent of a mythical virgin or a pus-filled cyst. This is a lot like the choice between Ginger and Mary Ann, only way different.

Or, it could be two, two, two mints in one! A mythical virgin AND a pus-filled cyst.

Last edited:
While mostly ignored
The pictures got scored,

You'll be amused to know that Syrinx was the name of an Ancient Greek mythical nymph admired for her devotion to virginity, and is also the medical term for a fluid-filled cyst.

While I have my own feelings about this coincidence, I decided to go for broke and name the piece Syrinx anyway.

You are free, of course, to decide for yourselves whether the piece is reminiscent of a mythical virgin or a pus-filled cyst. This is a lot like the choice between Ginger and Mary Ann, only way different.

A composer known as Leslie Schefman
Wrote for both bass and treble clef, man
His evocative sound
Held audiences spell bound
Better than anyone else can (could):eek:

A composer known as Leslie Schefman
Wrote for both bass and treble clef, man
His evocative sound
Held audiences spell bound
Better than anyone else can (could):eek:
Schefman had a good friend named Alnus
Who played horn and wasn't a walrus.
He was way too kind
Though Les didn't mind
It's really hard to rhyme Alnus.

I'll admit I like listening to this when I play it back. It's the kind of thing I might hire a small ensemble of strings, piano, clarinet and alto flute to record with live instruments.

If you all think it's a pus-filled lesion, of course let me know: "Les, that'd be a huge waste of time and money."

Then I'll feel really, really bad. So if I were you, I'd go for "mythical Ancient Greek virgin nymph' and try to avoid 'pus-filled lesion'.

Not that I want to influence your decision, but my ego is fragile. ;)

While mostly ignored
The pictures got scored,

Or, it could be two, two, two mints in one! A mythical virgin AND a pus-filled cyst.

I quite like this. More good stuff, Les. Although, to be honest, when I see Syrinx my mind immediately goes here.....

I should also mention that I had a very hard time with the Ginger vs Mary Ann choice. I always liked Ginger - dated a few Gingers - but married Mary Ann.

It's impossible to explain why.

The TV Mary Ann died in 2020 at the age of 81.

I'm not telling my wife. I'm sure she'd get all worried.

I quite like this. More good stuff, Les. Although, to be honest, when I see Syrinx my mind immediately goes here.....

I love it, except for the singing. Which is at least one octave too high. Explain what he was thinking?

But let's concentrate on the piece I posted. So, Ginger or Mary Ann?

Two mints.
I enjoyed it enough to listen again.

Maybe it’s been too long since I listened to a real one beside me, but the clarinet didn’t sound quite real to me. It fits musically, but I wondered about the instrument.
Well, because it isn't real, it's a software instrument?

It's really difficult to make this stuff sound reasonably authentic.

I know, some software instruments are close enough to real that I don’t think about them.
Strings and percussion can fool ya. Winds...more difficult. But I think the clarinet is a good sample, basically. Not perfect, but good.

I worry more about the quality of the composition than the accuracy of the sampled instruments. I kind of take the instruments as 'what they are'. I've spent Private Stock money on orchestral sample libraries in the last few years, and all I can say is they're the best of the best, and still have a long way to go.

However, sampled electric guitars are the absolute worst of the worst. So I'm dollars ahead because at least I've got real guitars and amps!! ;)

Last edited:
Two mints.
I enjoyed it enough to listen again.

Maybe it’s been too long since I listened to a real one beside me, but the clarinet didn’t sound quite real to me. It fits musically, but I wondered about the instrument.
I listened to the thing in my studio again.

Honestly, I think the alto flute that opens the piece is very good, and the clarinet that comes in after a minute is pretty good sounding for a sample, too.

Granted, they aren't perfect, but it'd probably take future AI to make a sample that responded dynamically like a breath-controlled instrument. Even the breath-controllers (which I have) don't do much better with samples.

I haven't found better samples yet, but I'm ALWAYS looking! :)

Well, I think I have drawn visual references from every piece you have ever presented here, and typed most of them into my responses! This one is no different!! I was a bird flying across different landscapes as I listened to it, at about the 50 second mark, I plunged down into a canyon! I know you are having troubles with pieces being not perfect in your head, but I am always impressed and thank you for sharing!! Sorry I can not rip it apart ;~)) Kudos to you for your skillz and persistence in following your mind/heart/musical path!!!

Back