I've Achieved Nirvana.

...with Celestion Blues or Alnico Creams.
I've been going back and forth between an AC30 and an AC15, myself. It seems to me that for clean tones, I'd want an AC30, so that's the direction I'm leaning, but damn if they didn't get some mighty fine clean tones out of the AC15 towards the end of this video (starts 11:17):

I've been going back and forth between an AC30 and an AC15, myself. It seems to me that for clean tones, I'd want an AC30, so that's the direction I'm leaning, but damn if they didn't get some mighty fine clean tones out of the AC15 towards the end of this video (starts 11:17):

I did a set as a guest player with an Americana band a few years back, and was told they'd provide me with an amp, that turned out to be an AC15. This was not a loud band. There was an acoustic guitar through its onboard pickup and an acoustic amp, fiddle/mandolin with a pickup and acoustic amp, electric bass, drums, and me with the AC15.

Only the vocals went through the PA, however, it was an outdoor event in a small courtyard.

The AC15 couldn't be heard in that band context, which was pretty mild, though obviously, an outdoor gig is a different kind of deal. So if you're gigging, definitely check on whether the 15 would have sufficient volume (though you could always mic it up).

One thing I will say...based on that video the new AC30 no longer sounds much like a real-deal AC30 from "back in the day." It's missing the "Kerrraaannnnnnggggg" that a good AC30 has. And it's too bright, thin, and clean when it's clean. Real AC30s are a little darker and more hoarse. And they have a chewier tone than the thin one on the new amps.

Compare that Anderton video of the Chinese amp that merely looks like an AC30, to this one of the JMI AC30 and AC15s that are a much more accurate replica of the older amps, and you'll hear the difference; these JMIs (someone in England bought the name and is making very good replicas) sound the business, and I think there's room for PRS to do a take on this style of amp as well:

Last edited:
I've been going back and forth between an AC30 and an AC15, myself. It seems to me that for clean tones, I'd want an AC30, ...

(Cough) if PRS isn't going to make a Vox type amp, get a Mesa TA15 or 30! They do the Vox thing better than most Vox amps, are built better, and have 3 other great voices in the same box! (Cough)

(Cough) if PRS isn't going to make a Vox type amp, get a Mesa TA15 or 30! They do the Vox thing better than most Vox amps, are built better, and have 3 other great voices in the same box! (Cough)

They're out of production.

I don't think they really sounded like AC30s, BTW. I've played through them. Kinda-sorta AC30 direction-ish at best.

The JMI are very period-accurate AC30s. The Matchless/Bad Cat EL84 amps are like hot-rodded AC30s, but that's a different thing, too, though they're very desirable IMHO.

I'd be on a PRS AC30 style amp in a heartbeat. I'm trying to avoid the mistake of getting another non-PRS amp, only to discover that PRS makes something similar that sounds better later on.

Example -- I think the 2 Channel 50/100 has more of what I like in a 6L6 amp than my Lone Star. I do like the Lone Star, and I'm not about to move it or ship it, plus it was a custom order; so I'll hang onto it, but I like the 2 Channel 50/100 better. Shoulda, woulda, coulda... ;)

Last edited:
my current so-called studio...("so-called" because one member here pointed out that it's the most unprofessional studio he'd ever seen, and I guess it is!).
Geez, watch a little basketball and miss all the fun! :)

Actually, I like the room better now. I always wondered why you had them offset to one side, but figured with that much space from the wall and that size room, it probably didn't matter much. Like the look much better now though.

The comment though (and commentary by Les) are indicative of the way things are now. I'm the sound man at a good sized church. I ran an Allen & Heath GL3300 for about 10 years there. 32 channel analog board, with over 1300 knobs, switches and buttons on it! Next to it were a rack of compressors, EQs, Reverbs, etc. We build the new building a couple years ago and I get a Yamaha M7CL . 48 channels, less than 300 knobs, buttons and switches! Everything is done in the computer screen where all the verbs, compressors, EQs, etc are in the board and available right there on my screen, but there is nothing else there (where I mix). All the amps and power filters and everything are in a vault behind the stage. The only other thing in my sound booth is a rack of wireless mic radios, CD recorder, mini disc player, ipod, and a couple other things. Gone are the racks of EQs, verbs, compressors, etc. . When people first came to look at it, they said "where is all the STUFF?" It's all right there, "in the box."

They're out of production.

I don't think they really sounded like AC30s, BTW. I've played through them. Kinda-sorta AC30 direction-ish at best.

What did you play them through? I got to demo the 30 in a room with an AC15, AC30 and a hand wired version of the AC30 (all at guitar center, but...) Had at least 7-8 guys checking them out when I got my 30. When played through my Red Fang alnico speaker, most liked the TA30 better than any of the Vox amps. But we did the blind thing for a while and my contract at Guitar Center summerized "well this sucks because we don't carry Mesa anymore and you all want TA30s now, not the Vox amps." Because we all agreed it sounded as good as the Vox's, and the other channel has 3 distinct things the Vox can't even touch. Was it as nice as the Bad Cat I tried? No. But, less than half the price and 3 times as versatile.

That said, I know you've said in the past that you weren't a fan of the TA amps. That's cool. I LOVE my TA15 and with a couple speakers it can cover about anything. But I wasn't in love with it when I tried it with the Mesa Black Shadow. It was a good all around, but compromise on any voice. Vox with a greenback or alnico sound really good, IMHO-YMMV

First of all, thank you all for your continued input.
One thing I will say...based on that video the new AC30 no longer sounds much like a real-deal AC30 from "back in the day." It's missing the "Kerrraaannnnnnggggg" that a good AC30 has. And it's too bright, thin, and clean when it's clean. Real AC30s are a little darker and more hoarse. And they have a chewier tone than the thin one on the new amps.
Do you think that might be due to lack of break in, or choice of speakers? I think they said they had Alnico Blues in the AC30, but I don't remember what they said about the AC15, but it can also come loaded with Greenbacks or Creambacks.

What did you play them through? I got to demo the 30 in a room with an AC15, AC30 and a hand wired version of the AC30 (all at guitar center, but...)

I honestly don't think any of the recent Vox amps sound like the 60s originals. They haven't at the very least since Korg started distributing them in the 80s (and I believe that Korg still owns Vox), but it probably happened earlier, when the company was sold to a bank in the late 60s (might have been early 70s?), and started to go downhill. That's just my take on it. So sure, compared to the recent AC30 and recent Hand-wired version, the TA was fine and sorta Vox-like. But not the same at all as the classic Vox amps of the early to mid 60s.

But play a 60s Vox amp, and you'll hear the difference. A good mid 60s Vox is magic. Absolute magic. And today's Vox amps are pale approximations, the Lite Beer of Vox-ness (I just coined a phrase! ;)).

I go way back, and played the originals, but have played many old ones in recent years that are in great condition. The new ones aren't at all the same.

"Why don't you buy an old Vox, Les?"

"I don't want to buy a headache. And old amps tend to...well...they reek of cigarettes and stale beer sometimes."

These JMI amps do have that thing going, but I haven't played on in person. I'm going to try one next time I head out to LA, where they have a dealer. They sound right to me in the videos.

Do you think that might be due to lack of break in, or choice of speakers? I think they said they had Alnico Blues in the AC30, but I don't remember what they said about the AC15, but it can also come loaded with Greenbacks or Creambacks.

I think it's the design of the amp, the different components, etc. Take a look at the innards, and you'll see the differences, and you can certainly hear them.

Last edited:
hmmm, well, I've only played one old Vox AC30 and that was 20 years ago. It sounded great but was a heavy and loud beast. I remember my friend let me play it three times and I was never that impressed. Then I went to one of his gigs one night where he had it opened up more and it sounded great.

That was too long ago for me to compare to the ones made now though. Plus the more I mess with speakers, the more I realize how important they are to the final tone. Lots of guys seem to like them. The TA30 and 15 with an Anico speaker sound as good or better than the new Vox amps we compared them too. Vox has never been my first choice for amps though, so I've never pursued high end clones of the old ones. I like the Vox tone though, enough to want to have it available when I want it. For that, the TA's are more than good enough.

I'll go one further -- I don't even necessarily want a clone, nor a Vox-a-like. I just want that jangle, that chime, that britpoppiness, that...whatever you want to call it. I was at a Mesa/Boogie showcase earlier tonight, and their Rectoverb had IT, whatever IT is. IT is what I want -- chime, jangle, detail, whatever.

So yeah, I'm on board. If Sewell and PRSh want to design an EL84 based amp, I want it.

So yeah, I'm on board. If Sewell and PRSh want to design an EL84 based amp, I want it.

They have one, it's called the DG30. I have one, and it's EL84 based. But as always with tube amps, it ain't the tubes, it's the entire design. I had a Bogner Metropolis when they were still made, and it was an EL84 amp that sounded like a Fender.

The DG30 sounds like a vintage amp, but not like a Vox. I think it's more of a US style vintage. Tweed, a touch of Magnatone, a bit of GA-40. I do love it.

But it doesn't KERANNNGGG like an old Vox - it's clearly not designed for that.

When I play the HXDA, I know they nailed, absolutely nailed, a great Plexi sound. They can do it with a Vox for sure! Sewell is a genius.

Of course, whether they'd want to bother doing that is another matter, and I could be waiting a long time!

Last edited:
Nirvana happens in 13 hours. Cast comes off tomorrow. I WILL play guitar!

Meantime, I'll be up all night well at least until the windowpane I took wears...uh...wow, is what I'm watching real or is it a movie?

THUMBS UP MAN!!! I broke my wrist racing motorcycles (see below) and it took me 8 months after the cast came off to be able to do a push up. I had to have the cast on for 12 weeks (2 casts, because my arm atrophied so much the first one was loose), and a lot of weird things happened to my arm while it was cast! My arm hair grew really long under the cast, like REALLY long, and my range of motion was zero.

From the pics, this looks like one of those "hold my beer" accidents. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
THUMBS UP MAN!!! I broke my wrist racing motorcycles (see below) and it took me 8 months after the cast came off to be able to do a push up. I had to have the cast on for 12 weeks (2 casts, because my arm atrophied so much the first one was loose), and a lot of weird things happened to my arm while it was cast! My arm hair grew really long under the cast, like REALLY long, and my range of motion was zero.

Dude, I raced cars when I was younger, and that was scary enough! It takes some serious balls (and skills) to race bikes - gotta admire your bravery!

I was lucky to have only had the cast for two weeks, it went from my hand nearly up to my shoulder, and felt just awful. 12 weeks? That's some tough sledding!

Dude, I raced cars when I was younger, and that was scary enough! It takes some serious balls (and skills) to race bikes - gotta admire your bravery!

I was lucky to have only had the cast for two weeks, it went from my hand nearly up to my shoulder, and felt just awful. 12 weeks? That's some tough sledding!

I knew there was a reason I liked you Les! Did you ever make it out to any East Coast tracks?

I knew there was a reason I liked you Les! Did you ever make it out to any East Coast tracks?
I've had a bike on Watkins Glen, VIR, Barber each of which I liked enough to go back to. Also time on Pocono inside track and one of the Summit Point tracks which served their purpose but weren't interesting enough to return to.

I've been a le Circuit (north of Montreal and a 60s F1 course) and the F1/MotoGP course at Indy.

Compare that Anderton video of the Chinese amp that merely looks like an AC30, to this one of the JMI AC30 and AC15s that are a much more accurate replica of the older amps, and you'll hear the difference; these JMIs (someone in England bought the name and is making very good replicas) sound the business, and I think there's room for PRS to do a take on this style of amp as well:

I've been waiting :rolleyes:

No, I never had the pleasure. I raced Mid-Ohio, Grattan, and Waterford. But I stopped racing when I became diabetic...the last thing a race course needs is a dude having an insulin reaction on the track!

However, my brother Robert was the East Coast SCCA champion in autocross in a Lotus John Player Special that he still has! And I know he did the East Coast tracks when he lived in NYC. Though he's now an old fart like me, until just a few years ago he raced a Lola Formula Ford here and on the East Coast.

Back