It costs a lot more now to gig in Canada

I was in a road band back in the day and getting into canada was a PITA. They went through our bus, equipment and all personal belongings. Our sound guy had an arrest record a mile long and that made a bad situation even worse.

I think it works both ways. When I was gigging in various full time bands, we always played quite a bit in the States. It was the same deal for us. Young guys, really long hair, musicians, decrepit bus full of the best gear we could afford. US custom agents would pull everything from the bus, trash it going thru it, leave it on the pavement and just walk away when they cleared us for entry. No different really.

Last edited:
Trying living in the same hometown as beiber. I worked with his grandfather, chased his woman beating father down the street and told Justin's mother off on several occasions lol

A seven year old kid went up to him at our river. Justin turned to the kid and said 'get the f... away from me " broke the kids heart.

Justin also went to our mayor and asked for the citizen's of Stratford to leave him alone.

If you are a true musician then thats what you sign up for, fame and fortune. If you deserve that then be appreciative of your fans because they are paying your wages.

Mr Beiber is unappreaciative of what was given to him and should be banned from the music business. Thats my two cents

You can tell just by looking at this guy that he is a first class wanker.
As an alum of UWO, I have a soft spot for that area of the country.
I've never seen it but I always tried to imagine William Shatner (another fine Canadian and a personal favourite) doing Shakespeare ... hmmm, perhaps performing Shakespeare would be a better way of phrasing it.
Doesn't compute. I laugh my ass off just looking at him.

Hey Albrecht,

It refers to all places that are restaurants or bars. So concert halls and stadiums (the irony of which is touched on in the article) are exempt from these fees, as they are there purely for the purpose of spreading music, regardless of the nationality of the performers. For all of the bars and restaurants who have bands in, the law is there to encourage them to hire Canadian acts. It's another example of the protectionism of Canadian culture that is insitutionalized here. It is a little strange though to see the fence getting thicker for live performance artists, when the other legislation and policies that do this for things like radio play are being relaxed.

Hey, thanks for clarification. Now I can fully agree that THIS SUCKS! :)

Well, there are two things that Canada is known for ... Bacon and Beavers.

Canadian Bacon and Canadian Beaver ... I have tasted both and I can tell you that they are sweeeeeeet.

Back