Issue with SE HBII stoptail

Grey_Goose

I've owned an SE HBII for a few months, but haven't had a chance to play it at all due to work. I picked it up today for the first time of intending to play it, and noticed that the action is extremely high. As I was looking at the stoptail, I noticed that it's leaning forward (towards the pups), prompting me to note how much of a gap exists between the body and bottom of the stoptail; this seemed "peculiar". On closer inspection, I noticed that the ball end of the high E string is actually sandwiched between the bridge and the body. This guitar was purchased brand new from a PRS dealer, and I'm surprised that A) it got through the QC process at the factory and B) that the "professional set up" that was to have occurred at the dealer didn't catch it; I didn't even think to look at this when the guitar arrived. I'm changing strings now, and the two posts were loose and quite some distance from being screwed in (they could go no further, I'm sure, as the person who assembled this area of the instrument must have felt some resistance to screwing the posts in but wound up leaving it alone); the ball end of the string has left an impression in the body. I've done some looking around and can't find anything online indicating whether the posts should be screwed all the way in to the body or if there's a gap that should be maintained; hoping that someone can let me know.

As far as the post go, there can I would almost say should be a small gap depending on what string height/action your looking for. As far as the QC question I would first call/ go see the dealer you bought it from and pose those same questions. If you bought it online a phone call might help.

That's frustrating for all the reasons you mentioned - most especially the dealer's claim at doing a set up. Hopefully you can adjust it to your liking, you should certainly be able to lower the bridge more now that you've got the string un-stuck. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the mark the ball end left, it shouldn't be too noticeable (maybe even covered by the bridge), but YMMV.

Don't know if it's worth your time to pursue anything with the dealer, especially given that it's been a few months now since you bought it - maybe you could hope for a small refund, but not sure how likely that really is. If it was me, I'd just be inclined not to buy from them again.

On a happier note - I'm a big fan of SE HBII's, you got a great guitar! Get it setup properly and rock out :cool:

I wouldn't expect the dealer to offer any assistance given the time span since the purchase, as you say; I won't do business with them again. The impression on the body is entirely hidden beneath the bridge; it could have been much worse. I'm having the guitar set up at a local shop this week, after having fiddled around with the bridge height and the neck for a couple of hours yesterday without eliminating all of the fret buzz. This is a beautiful instrument, and I was pretty surprised given the quality of several other SEs that I own / have owned to find such an obvious and glaring issue. By forcing the bridge to be elevated to the extent that it was, it seems that the truss rod and the height of the pups from the factory were made to accommodate the bridge height. After I had lowered the bridge to the body and then began working it up from there, the strings were laying directly on the pickup covers, and the neck angle was quite concave. Getting this one properly set up is certainly a task for a professional.

Thank you both for your replies.

Back