Is this normal? Flame top / solid color back

marianozz

Hi guys, I was wondering if its normal to have a solid back on a nice flamed maple top CE22. Its a late 90s, wraparound that im looking at, and this struck me as odd. Its a nice burst, but every other flamed top PRS I remember seeing had "visible mahogany"... :iamconfused:

Thanks for any answers!

Depends on the color. Also, it could be a special order as well. Back in the '90's, you could special order certain things, like a non-production color.

My Cu 22 from 2013 has a very nice maple top, clear finish on the mahogany back and solid blue on the neck and headstock. Would not read too much into the black back unless it looks as if it was over sprayed to hide some defects.

My 408 has a black back as well. Can't say whether there is any rhyme or reason to natural vs colored, guess it's what they think looks good.

Come to think of it, my Ce 24 has a clear finish on Mahogany as well. Using the Les Paul gold top theory, are the black painted backs made of multiple pieces of wood vs. the clear for single piece backs? Some CE's also had alder bodies vs. mahogany. Really reaching out on a limb here but in any case, i would not worry one bit. Will still sound awesome.

My 92 CE24 has a Scarlett maple top with a black back...I have def seen Emerald ones with a black back as well.

I can't find it right now, but I saw a PRS with a baby blue or powder blue back. It was haunting. Something like the one Wild West Guitars has with the white back, only I'm pretty sure the front wasn't blue.

Back