Query about my new PRS SE Zach Myers

SteG

Hi all,

New member, so first of all, heya!

I've had my eye on the SE Zach Myers guitar for a while now and recently decided what they hey, lets go for it. Most places seem to have sold out and/or saying it's been discontinued but I found a store with stock and got one ordered. It arrived today and first impression was, it's a beaut!

The flame top (I went for Trampas Green) looks great, but behaves in an odd way in the light. More often than not when you're looking at the guitar, the flame shows on half the top and not the other, but turn the guitar round and it all changes. Found somewhere online that said this was just as result of how book matching is done and a result of the grain of the wood. I can't say I've noticed this effect before on my full fat Custom 24, and it formed the initial part of my reservation about this new guitar.

The other thing is the colour and look of the wood on the back of the guitar. While I know there's a maple veneer on the top for the flame, there's also a maple cap then a mahogany back. What I find odd is that the mahogany on the back is extremely pale, noticeably lighter than the edges of the maple cap you can see. This make it look pretty odd as it effectively looks like the natural 'binding' I expected to see is darker than the back of the guitar. The neck of the guitar is darker than the edge of the maple cap and more like I'd expect mahogany to look.

All in all, it looks a bit odd and has knocked me back a bit, in some part because it actually plays really nice and sounds great, and it's left me wondering what to do - live with it, or see if I can get a replacement. The store was too far away for me to visit in person which was a shame.

There's also an issue with the D string tuner as it vibrates/resonates when certain notes are played and it's pretty loud when doing so. Seems like the plastic button or the shaft it's connected to is vibrating as the noise completely stops when I hold this part of the tuner.

Will hopefully be speaking with the store I got it from tomorrow or Monday, but just wondered if anyone on here had experience with the Zach Myers sig guitar and if anyone had any views on the finish oddities on my guitar. I don't know if my US Custom 24 has effectively spoiled me as it's flawless, and I know the SE's are much cheaper guitars, so I don't know if I just had my expectations a bit high. The majority of the Zach Myers guitars I've seen pictures of are more like my expectations for the looks of the guitar, having lighter edges on the maple cap and seemingly more consistency in the flame top.

Kind regards

Ste

I'm not sure what you're asking for regarding aesthetics. If the various facets of the appearance you dislike outweigh the pleasure you get from playing, then send it back. I don't think anybody can recommend what you do with the guitar aesthetically. Purely a personal decision. It doesn't sound like anything you are describing is a manufacturing defect.

Regarding the tuner issue, probably not even something that needs discussed here. The dealer should/will take care of this and if not, PRS themselves will. You can rest assured of that.

Kevin

The flame flipping sides as you turn the guitar is normal but doesn't happen on al book matched tops. It has to do with the wood being quarter sawn and depending on the location, the flame can have that characteristic. I have an SE Angelus that does it. I had an artist package Cu24 that did it.

The light mahogany you are stuck with I'm afraid unless you return it and look for another one.

The tuner just needs to be tightened I believe.

Back