Is my new PRS 245 SE faulty?

Stani

Edit: I have chosen to keep it :)

Hi guys!

I just bought my first ever guitar after months of research. I bought it online, since there is no dealers of this model where I live.

The reason I bought PRS SE 245 and not the "standard" edition (which is cheaper) was, that I read that standard was built in Indonesia, while PRS SE 245 was built in Korea, which allegedly was the reason for the higher price, as there was more eye for details in Korea.

As I recieved my guitar, I noticed that this model ALSO is build in Indonesia now - which apparently is new since 2019 (?). I cant't seem to find any officiel statement regarding this, but I can see other guitarists are being confused about this on the internet.

Since I'm not familiar with what to expect from a 900$ guitar, I don't know if my observations are fair. But:
  • The backplates do not close on the guitar, so there are some "sharp" edges.
  • The screw for the jack stick is crooked screwed in.
  • All frets on the neck looks worn / discolored.
  • The strings have spots and my fingers turn black when playing on them.
  • It looks like the bottom of the neck has had a beating (the wood is splintered) - and there is something looking like glue residue?
  • I can see streaks in the painting job where the switch (pickup selector) is.

With the above errors (?) I don't feel like there has been an eye for detail, and I can't quite see what justifies the price compared to the "standard" edition. Can anyone enlighten me please?

The store I bought it in can't answer my questions, they just want to ship me a replacement. But if this is what is to be expected, then I see no reason doing that.

Can't seem to attach the pictures correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb4nn7fce71kd66/sIMG_7890.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/257u2cacmhdtjj6/sIMG_20200604_165619.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr19exnuvcp8b23/sIMG_20200604_165626.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guwgh0plkvmac1f/sIMG_20200604_170225.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikvg8gaa77haa8o/sIMG_20200606_222036.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59d6xtlja1047zo/sIMG_20200606_222048.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vs8luupn7q4dcz/sIMG_20200606_222238.jpg?dl=0

sIMG_7890.jpg

sIMG_20200604_165619.jpg
sIMG_20200604_165626.jpg
sIMG_20200604_170225.jpg

sIMG_20200606_222036.jpg

sIMG_20200606_222048.jpg

sIMG_20200606_222238.jpg

Last edited:
So the strings def show oxidation, (which might be the same as the slight tarnishing on the frets, which may just wipe off...)
I'd change the entire set of strings anyway (+/-6.00, usually thrown in with a new guitar if you purchase face to face), being as it just (presumably) travelled many miles, over Oceans, and stuff to get to you.
When the back plates are countersunk (Control cavity) , there appears to be a small gap. Nothing out of the ordinary for an import guitar, IMHO.
Same with the crooked Input screw...but if these things bug you enough, request a replacement, but explain your issues and ask if someone can review the next one, and throw in an extra set of strings for the trouble...???
Either way, good luck.

You got the model with the Flame Maple veneer, typically on a maple top, as opposed to the Standard which has no fancy top and typically all Mahogany body, this accounts for the price difference.

It is not uncommon for the cavity cover to be slightly smaller that the routing on many SE models (I have a few like that myself, doesn't bother me). Personally, I don't quite see the flaws as the big deal that you do, strings certainly don't look fresh, but if you are not happy about it, take it back for a refund or exchange.

BTW, no difference in quality between Korea and Indonesia, I have a few of each, but there can be occasional obvious flaws on models from either country.

Last edited:
My reaction is pretty much the same as Bill's - the strings and frets look oxidized. I've had my fingers turn black from factory strings, so I wouldn't sweat that - after a couple sessions, that will go away. The oxidation won't, so I'd be changing those regardless.

For the cavity cover, a gap in the routing isn't that unusual, but from your description, it almost sounds like the cover is sticking out above the routing a bit. Either way, if it's enough to bug you, it's an issue.

As for the jack plate screw, that's an easy DIY fix - you can glue some toothpicks in there and drill a small pilot hole to redo it. I agree, it's not something you should have to do, but it's not a terrible flaw. For me (all other things being equal), it would boil down to how much I like that particular guitar. If you like it, it's worth doing that little bit of work.

I think what you have is an outlier - I haven't had any of the issues you have (or not enough that I noticed). Your dealer is doing the right thing by offering a replacement. If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest asking him about the things that concern you before you decide - if the replacement doesn't have them, you'll feel better about the deal.

The guitar needs to be cleaned and have the strings replaced, as Bill said. Strip the protective plastic covers off the back plates, you haven’t done that yet. I could not see any splintering from the pictures. The white residue is polishing compound. Rub a soft toothbrush across it and it should come right out. There is some tarnish on the frets that should polish right off. I just got an NOS DC3 that had the same tarnish. A crooked screw is not an indication of defect there. Polish the guitar, and the the finish streaking should be ok. Are you in a warm, humid climate? Was your guitar shipped from a warm, humid climate to you? That would explain the tarnish. What letter prefix is in front of the serial number on the back? We can tell you what year the guitar was made. I believe you’ve bought a fine guitar, and are probably very nervous because it’s your first electric. Welcome to the forum, don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have. We’re all here to learn and share. If the guitar sounds great and plays well, I would try not to worry.

Stani, can you take a picture of the back of the headstock so we can see the serial number? Also, where are you from? We like people from places we don’t expect. It seems we have most countries in the mix. And do stay in touch with us.
I'm from Denmark :) And I think the guitar was shipped from Germany, not sure though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdozaqwkr05ag0r/IMG_20200618_074915.jpg?dl=0

Regarding the cavity cover, it's like it's not "high" enough, so it's the guitars edges I can feel, not the cover.

I believe your guitar is a 2020. Feeling the edges is not unusual. I played a less Paul for years, and always felt the edges, in addition to a giant hip bruise from the 10 lb guitar. Your body will accommodate over time. The guitar was made in Indonesia, shipped by boat to Europe, then unpacked and inspected. Plenty of time to get some tarnish. I use Meguiar’s cleaner/ car wax to polish the poly finish.

I'm from Denmark :)
If you don't mind entertaining my stupidity, which is in no short supply: Many English speakers will say "There's something rotten in Denmark", as a figure of speach - nothing against Denmark :D I've always wondered if people in Denmark have turned that around?

If you don't mind entertaining my stupidity, which is in no short supply: Many English speakers will say "There's something rotten in Denmark", as a figure of speach - nothing against Denmark :D I've always wondered if people in Denmark have turned that around?
The phrase is from Hamlet (around 1600) by William Shakespeare, the play takes place on Kronborg in Elsinore. Not quite sure if that answers your question though :D Haven't heard it that often.

A friend of mine taught Greek and Latin at the University of Copenhagen for many years. He always loved the city.

Congratulations on your new guitar.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here.

It looks like one that has already been used and shipped back to the shop, they need to sell it to someone. I think you just need the shop check out the one they are going to send to you and confirm it is 100%.

Back