Inexpensive Yet Quality Headphones?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Several years ago, I invested in a set of entry level headphones ($99) that I use for recording and private listening (late night so as to not disturb the neighbors).

They're Alessandro-Grado Music Series One headphones that have done well for my needs. Like many, I don't desire large ear cup headphones that will make me look like Princess Leia.

Simply devices that do the job well. I've even discovered that amazon carries replacement foam ear cups that will extend the life of the headphones.

What I don't get is ear fatigue from these, but with the foam cups, they do get warm after a while.

What headphones do you use that won't cause me to abandon all sensibility and force me to eat Rice-A-Roni for the next 3 weeks?

EDIT: Just realized this was posted in the wrong section. Please transfer to General Discussion if possible. Thx.

My old Sony's (just found 'em again) have foam inserts inside the faux leather cups. Takes a bit of doing, but you can fix 'em up with replacements in time. The foam inserts were from China, which I think were purchased several years ago just in case the Sony's might need repair...and luckily, I've still got some foam inserts...

Have my pops my Sennheisers, because I’m such a good son and now I have a poor man’s set of Sony’s.

But hey I’m going slowly deaf, so.....

Was able to locate some TRS insert cable and F>F TRS adapter with which to extend the headphone cord length. Almost couldn't find the ¼" M > ⅛" F screw-on tip to the Sony plug...dug it out of my pen/pencil mug in my study room...phew.

I agree with Sergio , I have used these for years to monitor broadcast recording, tough as nails nice natural sound.

Although I don't do broadcast recording, I might use a mic and headphones for either FaceTime or when not wishing to disturb the neighbors at inconvenient times. And agreed, the Sony's do produce a nice, natural sound.

(Someone got the memo :);))

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the MDR-XB950BT headphones. I got them from Best Buy a few years ago and they're great.

I've gotten myself a quality set of studio head phones though. I've been looking at Sony's MDR-7506's though. They appear to be a great value.

Back