Help selecting headphones for practicing

Not sure how good it'll be or if he'll need an amplifier but per the manual

17. EMULATED OUT Frequency compensated line level output for headphones or for connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet REAR PANEL FUNCTIONS DSL1CR REAR PANEL emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording.
Oh nice! Does the manual list the output impedance? If it's designed for headphones, then I would think it'd have plenty to drive the Sennheisers. It's not like they needed to limit the output to preserve battery power.

Oh nice! Does the manual list the output impedance? If it's designed for headphones, then I would think it'd have plenty to drive the Sennheisers. It's not like they needed to limit the output to preserve battery power.

Unfortunately it doesn't and from a quick web scan he may be disappointed through headphones. Hopefully his outcome is different. Tube amps man. I keep a SS around mainly for this or at least that's what I tell myself to justify more gear because I never use headphones. I use it occasionally for other reasons but Fender dropped Fuse support and the community earlier this year.

Last edited:
That's what I was looking at - the Sennheiser 6XX Massdrop. At $210 with the coupon, they seem like an incredible value, but it seems that an amp is mandatory.

I was also looking at those AKG 702s, and have seen several other people on various message boards speak favorable of them. Why do you prefer them to the 6xx? At the lower 62 ohm impedence, they shouldn't need any amplification from any source, right?

The Sennheisers have a warmer sound without quite as much detail in the higher frequencies compared to the AKGs. The AKGs also seem to have a bit better soundstage and stereo imaging, at least to my ears. The Sennheisers are known for having a very smooth, flattering presentation of vocals.

I just did a little comparison using my tablet, which doesn't have a very powerful headphone amp, and actually both of these headphones were pretty similar in terms of the volume I could get. Both of them just barely reached a decent listening level with the tablet's amp all the way up, so either one may be a stretch to drive with your practice amp.

If you can only have one set of headphones for music and your guitar amp, you might consider the Sennheiser HD58X or HD560. If you have your heart set on a nice entry-audiophile set of phones, get the HD6XX or K702 and order a $30 set of Koss Portapro's for your amp and phone. I think You'll be amazed how well the Portapro's compare.

The Sennheisers have a warmer sound without quite as much detail in the higher frequencies compared to the AKGs. The AKGs also seem to have a bit better soundstage and stereo imaging, at least to my ears. The Sennheisers are known for having a very smooth, flattering presentation of vocals.

I just did a little comparison using my tablet, which doesn't have a very powerful headphone amp, and actually both of these headphones were pretty similar in terms of the volume I get. Both of them just barely reached a decent listening level with the tablet's amp all the way up, so either one may be a stretch to drive with your practice amp.

If you can only have one set of headphones for music and your guitar amp, you might consider the Sennheiser HD58X or HD560. If you have your heart set on a nice entry-audiophile set of phones, get the HD6XX or K702 and order a $30 set of Koss Portapro's for your amp and phone. I think You'll be amazed how well the Portapro's compare.

Thanks for your help. The reason I was thinking of the K702s was because I didn't think they would need an amp. If they don't get any louder than the 6xx, then better to go with the 6xx I think.

The Sennheiser 6xx are only $210 at drop, and I'm having a hard time justifying getting any other pair of headphones, considering these seem like such a great deal. The HD 58X or HD 560 are only a few dollars less, but it seems like the HD 650/6xx are superior headphones. Although, do you think with the HD 58X, with the 150 Ohm rating, that I would not need an amp?

I might add, I want an open back set of headphones.

I suppose I will need to get a headphone amp, but this is where I start getting confused. All of the sources that I would output audio from (my guitar amp, smartphone, and playstation controller) have an 1/8" audio output jack. The headphone amps, which are all new to me, seem to all have RCA or XLR inputs. Would I need to get an adapter cable to convert the 1/8" audio output to RCA or XLR for use with a headphone amp...? Or is it a DAC that I also need...?

Thanks to all in the community for your help.

Last edited:
That's what I was looking at - the Sennheiser 6XX Massdrop. At $210 with the coupon, they seem like an incredible value, but it seems that an amp is mandatory.

My phone, macbook, modeler, and mixer drive my HD 6XX's more than loud enough for me. Probably could be better with a dedicated headphone amp, but they work great without an amp for tracking guitar and general listening.

Back