I'm kind of freaking out.

Congrats and enjoy! The neck profiles for PRS are not dramatic like other brands. I read somewhere that the differences from the narrowest to the fattest is about 1/16 th of an inch. I have three profiles and all are fantastic. You will find it is not as drastic as a 58 to a 60 lester or the baseball bat telecasters that are out there.

Some people are more sensitive to neck size than others. It took me a long time to get used to a Wide/Fat after starting on a Wide/Thin. The Al Di carve (pattern regular?) turned out to be my favorite but now I can play any of the PRS profiles without too much trouble.

I'd suggest that even if it's a little uncomfortable to begin with, give it a chance for a couple weeks before making the final decision.

For so many years I have heard other players talking about neck profiles they like... I was never too fussy. Each of mine, including basses, have different neck profiles and board radius etc. I never really notice the difference if I just play one at a time - if I am recording however and I switch from one straight to another, for the first couple of minutes I might be like "whoa that's smaller" (eg switching from wide fat to my strat neck which is quite slender) but I adjust my playing already to each instrument and the neck is no different. Where I rest my right hand, the way I pick and bend etc are all different already so a different neck shape never really bothered me

anyway sorry for random thoughts - I haven't really helped OP but I have a feeling you'll play it for a day and fall in love

I think you should panic.

There's entertainment value in panic.

Yeah, I was trying to help you relax, but lets just keep it real. No sense in fibbing to you. Yeah, you've got a problem. I feel really bad for you because, well, you'll know soon enough. Sorry man! It's like test driving the CORVette then find out out you bought the CHEVette. Hang in there. You should be able to dump it quickly for no more than a 50% loss.
:D:D:D

Awesome. Thanks for all the love on this post. My PRS came in and I will say this. I absolutely love it. It plays fantastic and sounds even better. While it is a little wider than I'm used too I think I'm going to get to it.
IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

WOW! Absolutely a keeper. Congrats on this one, and glad its working out for you!

Kevin

Ok, ok, I confess, I was just joshin' ya. :D

Very nice! Enjoy that guitar!

Back