If i really like S2 Standard 22s should i just get a third one???

Russ73

I currently have 2 one satin but this year I picked up a 594 thinline that I have a love/hate relationship with and a Vela cheap that needs a little work to the point where I might just return it and try for another one down the road....BUT if I return the Vela with some bad mods that were made on it and trade the 594 I could get a mint Standard 22 but I have 2 already?? Thoughts on real world problems lol

Let me add one more scenario ...I return the Vela with a strange pup in the bridge and tone nob removed...yeah those were the mods made...lol...and hang onto the 594 and try to see what I'm missing that everyone seems to love....thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't want 3 of the same guitar. A tone knob and a bridge swap wouldn't have me selling a guitar, easy mods to correct. Especially a Vela, I love mine. I've played several thinlines and think they are great as well. It's probably my next purchase if I can bring myself to part with my SG.

What is it you don't like about the thinline?

I would recommend something similar to your S2 Standards, but a little different. Here are some that I've owned. FWIW, I'm not crazy about my S2 McCarty SC 594.

2002, Standard 22. I didn't like the 5-way switching or Dragon II pickups. I switched it to 3-way switching, Memphis Retrotrons, then Starla pickups.

S2 satin Standard 24.

S2 Custom 22.

2002, Standard 22. I didn't like the 5-way switching or Dragon II pickups. I switched it to 3-way switching, Memphis Retrotrons, then Starla pickups.

I've put GFS pups in numerous guitars, where they were always improvements; I've replaced Ibanez Artcore 'buckers and the stock Duncans in Godin LGXt with Retro'Trons, as well as numerous generics with Surf 90s (which is a great pup at any price).

But I guess I never imagined seeing GFS pickups in a PRS. That almost doesn't even compute!

I would recommend something similar to your S2 Standards, but a little different. Here are some that I've owned. FWIW, I'm not crazy about my S2 McCarty SC 594.

S2 satin Standard 24.

S2 Custom 22.
That Standard 22 looks awesome!! Do you not have any of them anymore?? What did you replace them with??

My advice should be taken with a grain of salt, because I'm certifiably 'out there'.

I see nothing wrong with having more than one of the same model. Every guitar has its own personality and sounds different from others of the same model. So if you find another one you love, what the heck!

That Standard 22 looks awesome!! Do you not have any of them anymore?? What did you replace them with??

The only one I sold was the core Standard 22. I currently have 2 S2 Custom 22's (with different pickups), 2 core Custom 22's, 1 S2 Standard 24, 1 S2 MC SC594 and an SE Hollowbody II. I tend to buy multiples of guitars that I like. At one point, all I wanted to play was core Starla's. I bought 3 three of them. Next, I bought 8 Strats. That's why I recommended similar, but not 3 of the same. It works for a couple of years, then I would get tired of them.

I've put GFS pups in numerous guitars, where they were always improvements; I've replaced Ibanez Artcore 'buckers and the stock Duncans in Godin LGXt with Retro'Trons, as well as numerous generics with Surf 90s (which is a great pup at any price).

But I guess I never imagined seeing GFS pickups in a PRS. That almost doesn't even compute!

When I had 3 Starla's, I put a set of GFS Dream 180's in one of them. That set of Starla pickups, replaced the GFS Memphis pickups. I liked the Dream 180's and Memphis pickups better than most original sets. I've since gotten good at adjusting 85/15's, for a bridge dominant, middle position sound. They have become my go-to pickups.

OP here...I decided im keeping everything I have for now....I def get impulsive at times but I'm really diggin my bastardized Vela lol....Chicago Slim i know what you mean getting bored....ive been on a PRS kick owning 6 at the moment but 5 or 6 years ago I had 4 or 5 Charvels....dont think im goin down the superstrat rabbit hole again as I can only play shorter scale lengths due to arthritis in my fingers and hands and I've tried all the Gibson offerings already...

Only two?.. says the guy with 4 strats and thinks 5 is a nice round number….

S2 satin Standard 24.

S2 Custom 22.
Chicagoslim is such an enabler, in a good way with his pics, so be careful. Reason I have my S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. I have a S2 Semi-Hollow Custom 22, but that blue one of this makes me think I need a solid body. But I need a Vela as well, so there’s that.

Chicagoslim is such an enabler, in a good way with his pics, so be careful. Reason I have my S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. I have a S2 Semi-Hollow Custom 22, but that blue one of this makes me think I need a solid body. But I need a Vela as well, so there’s that.

Everybody needs a Vela :)

Or 2.

I decided to b keep the Vela semi satin ....too cool IMO....needs some work but yeah im diggin in....plus the Mahi blue Standard 22 I was looking at is gone already....

Back