I wrote a song with a 4 min. long guitar solo...

sergiodeblanc

Seriously? Why? Because there was nobody there to stop me and nobody who says I can't. ;)

It all started from my desire to have an extended dance mix version of a tune, but being a guitarist to my core I couldn't help but to rub my wheedle all over... I don't know.. 48 bars?!?! I mean what happened? To make matters worse I don't think I can take it out now.. It just has to be like.. in the song now!

I've listened to it with the solo in there for way too long now to be objective, and I've even started arranging drum-drops and b-up vocals to it.. I can't decide if I'm ruining a song that could be 4 mins. I feel really strongly about, by adding an additional 4 mins. of wanking on to the end. I mean chances are nobody'll buy it or like it anyway, so I'm not really risking too much by leaving it.. but I try to make stuff people will enjoy.

I'm gonna leave it. Yup, that's what I'm gonna do. People can either listen to 4 mins. of extended cut-up vocals and drum-drops, or..... 4mins. of extended cut-up vocals, drum-drops, and a guitar solo.

Thought you all should know. I'm defending the guitar faith in EDM :redface:

Nothing wrong with a 4 minute solo as long as it's interesting or just plain kicks butt.

Hey pulling off a 4 minute solo ain't easy. I don't think I could do it and keep it interesting for nearly that long. If you can do it then more power to you! I'd love to hear it also. Then I could add you to the list of players I'd like to be more like. ;)

I was just listening to my small collection of William Orbit tunes the other day, and thinking that, yes, electronic music must include the electric guitar! He does such nice work with his.

I always incorporate some guitar into my tracks unless specifically forbidden by the client. ;)

I say you did the right thing! Who's with me?

Nothing wrong with a 4 minute solo as long as it's interesting or just plain kicks butt.

Hey pulling off a 4 minute solo ain't easy. I don't think I could do it and keep it interesting for nearly that long. If you can do it then more power to you! I'd love to hear it also. Then I could add you to the list of players I'd like to be more like. ;)

That's the trick, to keep it interesting!

Yeah, I'll share when the verses are done. In typical guitar player fashion I started wanking before I finished all the singing. :redface:

I get a lot of non-players asking me if I'm into The Dead and Phish, and they're surprised when I answer no. They usually equate long solos as something that appeals to a guitar player, where I'd rather hear guys who surprise me with what they play (example: almost any solo on almost any Steely Dan song, or the guitar solo by Jeff Baxter on Hot Stuff). With that said I've come across a few incredible extended solos so it's not impossible, just darn hard. :)

Back