I have a couple of questions about PRS neck heel changes...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
MY '96 CU22 has a shorter neck heel than my '02 CU22. The neck heel of my '02 is longer and to be honest, I don't like it as much.

When did this change occur?

And has PRS now returned to the shorter neck heel of my '95?

Here's a photo. My '02 is sitting on top of my '95 to illustrate the difference.

There are a number of theories as to why Paul made the decision to lengthen the heel. I am one that thinks people focus too much on this. I have never had an issue with the heel on any of my PRS guitars. I never feel it when playing up high. One reason I had heard many years ago is that it helps with eliminating dead notes on the fretboard. Paul has many data points in his formula of tone. This is just one of them.

There are a number of theories as to why Paul made the decision to lengthen the heel. I am one that thinks people focus too much on this. I have never had an issue with the heel on any of my PRS guitars. I never feel it when playing up high. One reason I had heard many years ago is that it helps with eliminating dead notes on the fretboard. Paul has many data points in his formula of tone. This is just one of them.

I can see the longer heel adding strength to the neck and resisting the neck angling upwards over time.

Although my '95 with the shorter heel has never shown any sign whatsoever of doing that!

But I'm actually asking if PRS is still using the longer heel?

Or has PRS gone back to using the shorter heel?

Last edited:
I can see the longer heel adding strength to the neck and resisting the neck angling upwards over time.

Although my '96 with the shorter heel has never shown any sign whatsoever of doing that!

But I'm actually asking if PRS is still using the longer heel?

Or has PRS gone back to using the shorter heel?
The heel used to be even shorter than your 96. I haven't really looked at mine to see if the length has changed. I do know it is also different on the single cuts. I am currently under a lifting restriction so I can't pull a couple of mine out to check them.

I don't find the heel intrusive to me, but then I am not a 'shredder' and often reaching for the highest frets.

I don't know 'why' the Heel has increased in size, but I have heard various reasons - from eliminating dead notes, being more stable/stronger without needing reinforcement (Carbon Fibre for example) as they use Mahogany for necks which isn't as hard/dense as Maple for example and also heard it adds a bit more Warmth to the tone.

As I said, I don't know why it's changed - it could be one, all or none of those reasons. The current Heels don't really affect me, I don't find it impacts my ability to 'reach' the highest frets and could 'reach' further than the fretboard if I had a reason to do so - so reaching the 22nd/24th fret is not hampered by the 'heel' to me.

I know everyone is different of course...

The heel size changes to instill fear and paranoia in the guitar player and make them buy more PRS guitars to attempt to find the best one and focus on that rather than playing...;)

I kid..sort of.

I have and have had all the various iterations and when playing don't really notice a difference. As to why the changes occurred, I have heard all kinds of theories. I have heard strength and stability. I have heard dead spots. I have heard comfort. I have heard resonance and vibration making the guitar more lively.

My opinion is this...A good guitar is a good guitar. When you find one, hold onto it.

I know the OP is just curious and I wish I could provide a solid, factual answer. :(

I don't find the heel intrusive to me, but then I am not a 'shredder' and often reaching for the highest frets.

I don't know 'why' the Heel has increased in size, but I have heard various reasons - from eliminating dead notes, being more stable/stronger without needing reinforcement (Carbon Fibre for example) as they use Mahogany for necks which isn't as hard/dense as Maple for example and also heard it adds a bit more Warmth to the tone.

As I said, I don't know why it's changed - it could be one, all or none of those reasons. The current Heels don't really affect me, I don't find it impacts my ability to 'reach' the highest frets and could 'reach' further than the fretboard if I had a reason to do so - so reaching the 22nd/24th fret is not hampered by the 'heel' to me.

I know everyone is different of course...
The longer heel doesn't affect the way I play either.

I just like the way my '96 sounds better than the way my '02 sounds.

They have identical pickups and controls so it's just the way they each resonate.

The longer heel doesn't affect the way I play either.

I just like the way my '96 sounds better than the way my '02 sounds.

They have identical pickups and controls so it's just the way they each resonate.
No two guitars are ever identical even if all other things about them are.

@Lewguitar they’ve discontinued the CU22 and CE22 so I think it’s safe to say they haven’t gone back to the shorter heel on those guitars, and the few 22-fret guitars they currently make are mostly either McCarty-based or pretty different in various ways to the CU-22 and I’m not sure if the heel would be the same on those anyway. I can’t remember if the McCarty had a slightly different heel than the CU22 or not but it wouldn’t surprise me. Maybe someone who currently works at a PRS dealer can help, especially if you can find someone with a long history with the brand.

MY '96 CU22 has a shorter neck heel than my '02 CU22. The neck heel of my '02 is longer and to be honest, I don't like it as much.

When did this change occur?

And has PRS now returned to the shorter neck heel of my '95?

Here's a photo. My '02 is sitting on top of my '95 to illustrate the difference.

Worth noting that the 22 fret models always had a chunky heel. I hadn't realized that it grew, but I'm sure it's because PRS thought it sounded better and/or made it more stable. My CU22 was a 2017 and based on pics the heel looks roughly like your 2002.

Curiously, the heel on my 594 is a little shorter. Perhaps that's because of the shorter neck.

Where people used to make a big deal about the heel was on the 24 fret models, which started with a very small heel in 1985 and then around 1995 they extended it quite a bit, but still not as long as the 22 fret necks.

It would make total sense that Paul lengthened the heel to give the neck more stability and more mass = more sustain on the higher notes. Just theories of course.
Either way it’s a huge neck joint compared to what Gibson has done since the 50’s

Worth noting that the 22 fret models always had a chunky heel. I hadn't realized that it grew, but I'm sure it's because PRS thought it sounded better and/or made it more stable. My CU22 was a 2017 and based on pics the heel looks roughly like your 2002.

Curiously, the heel on my 594 is a little shorter. Perhaps that's because of the shorter neck.

Where people used to make a big deal about the heel was on the 24 fret models, which started with a very small heel in 1985 and then around 1995 they extended it quite a bit, but still not as long as the 22 fret necks.
Curiously, my '96 with the shorter neck heel sounds better than my '02, even when played unplugged.

I guess it's just made from some especially lively sounding mahogany and maple.

What? Lol, it used to be required reading. It was part of the syllabus along with having to watch a couple Scott Grove videos.
Truly hilarious material.

Truth be told, Mr. Ed put the first PRS in my hands that I purchased with some fun money acquired from Trump’s old Taj Mahal that was in Atlantic City. Two wrongs CAN make a right.;)

I used to read a little of Ed Roman's ravings. Mostly for its entertainment value.

Getting back to the longer neck heel of the 2002 CU22, it appears that they are no longer long like that and that PRS has gone back to the original neck heel.

Right?

Ed Sold me my first PRS in 91', A black Cherry Custom with quilted 10 top ....then tried to buy it back in 96 for twice what i paid lol......when he was on the pre 95' PRS guitars are far superior kick lol. I still have it !

Back