So, I have some beautiful SE Singlecuts...

And between my two CE22's ('95 and '97) and my CU22 ('95) I just don't play the SE Singlecuts anymore and I'm thinking of selling them.

But I put some pretty valuable pickups in the Singlecuts and don't have the original Korean humbuckers anymore.

One has Duncan Antiquitys, one has EVH Wolfgangs and one has some customized Duncan 59's.

Do you guys think I could sell them without the pickups?

Or do you think I should sell them with the pickups and ask for more?

Here's a pic. The blue CU22 in back had the EVH Wolfgangs in it at the time the photo was taken, but I put those in one of the sunburst SE's in front and then sold the CU22 last week.

People see 'SE' and won't pay a lot more for it because you 'modded' it. Its still an SE at its core. At best, you may get a 'bit' more than a used 'stock' SE, but most won't pay more than a 'New' SE costs regardless of how much money you spent modding it. It's probably better to sell the parts separately - sell the 'guitar' without Pups for another person to customise/mod, sell the Pups separately too and you may get more that way.

Putting in some cheap 'branded' pups from Seymour Duncan for example may help sell your guitar over another 'stock' model similarly priced because there are some that will 'expect' branded pups to be 'higher' quality and why you 'swapped' them out - even if they aren't actually 'better' quality, just a 'different', but well known brand.

Its always worth keeping hold of 'stock' parts if you do plan to sell and never worth 'selling' expensive after-market parts on a 'cheap' instrument as people will not pay more than a 'new' one would cost - inc Sales/discounts they 'could' get, not RRP - for a 'used' one that's been 'messed' with and no warranty either...

Oh man, I used to have a set of Antiquities in an ES-355 but I never took the covers off. If I’d known they were double creams I would’ve kept them!

And what, Dimarzio has a patent on double creams? How on earth is that possible? That’s just dumb. But I guess that explains why you never see them.
I think it's a trademark, not a patent, that Dimarzio registered.

When you think of double cream, Dimarzio wants you think of Dimarzio because that's what the original Super Distortion looked like.

So not even Gibson can market double cream humbuckers without the covers...and Gibson made them first!

But you can sell them with covers, and the covers may not even need to be soldered on.

Carvin used to sell double cream humbuckers. Somehow they got away with it.

I think it's a trademark, not a patent, that Dimarzio registered.

When you think of double cream, Dimarzio wants you think of Dimarzio because that's what the original Super Distortion looked like.

So not even Gibson can market double cream humbuckers without the covers...and Gibson made them first!

But you can sell them with covers, and the covers may not even need to be soldered on.

Carvin used to sell double cream humbuckers. Somehow they got away with it.

And inadvertently created the first Zebras too. Of course it was 'accidental' rather than deliberate. They just wound the Bobbins and didn't care if they were Black, White or combination as they would be covered anyway. Its when people removed covers, they discovered some were all-white or Zebras. However, Dimarzio themselves trademarked the Super Distortion and its double white look which was as important to them as a 'Headstock' shape is to a guitar maker - something 'instantly' recognisable...

And inadvertently created the first Zebras too. Of course it was 'accidental' rather than deliberate. They just wound the Bobbins and didn't care if they were Black, White or combination as they would be covered anyway. Its when people removed covers, they discovered some were all-white or Zebras. However, Dimarzio themselves trademarked the Super Distortion and its double white look which was as important to them as a 'Headstock' shape is to a guitar maker - something 'instantly' recognisable...
Right. But Duncan sell double white. It's double cream they can't offer unless they're under a cover.

Yes. But I'm not ready to let it go yet. I'm waiting on some SE humbuckers from FullMoon 71, a member here on the forum. Send me a PM if you like and we can talk.

Back