Humbucker options for a HSS modded Silver Sky SE?

Lehik

Hey fellows.

I'm considering modding my Silver Sky SE to HSS. Yes, I know that with full-sized humbucker it does require some routing, but that's not a problem. I'm not really into super high gainy tones, so I'm searching for options that can deliver great sound without being too heavy and that would work well with the stock 635JM "S"s on the neck and middle. Any recommendations? I almost went with a Thornbucker after hearing a demo on YouTube, but decided that it might wise to ask first.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This thread might be helpful:

Bareknuckle Riff Raff bridge! Tight bass, lower output, smooth punchy high end. Inspired from the early 60's humbuckers. That description does sound right up Mayer's alley so I fathom they'd jive well with the silver sky single coils AND not overpower them either.

I'll edit this and say check out the stacked single coils from either Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. They are hum cancelling, still have that glassy single coil sound but way more depth and oomph. Something like the SD vintage stack, Dimarzio virtual solo or heavy blues 2 etc.

It should blend nicely with the single coils. I have used the Seth Lover in CS Charvels before paired up with Antiquity Singles and Fender 57/62 pickups. GREAT sounds. Enjoy - it's going to be a tone beast!

I would recommend trying a 57/08 if you end up not liking the Seth Lover. I have Seth Lovers in two different guitars. My biggest issue with them is that in one of the guitars that has them has unwanted feedback issues at gig volumes. I am not talking crazy loud but a decent volume. The strange part about this is this guitar is a solid body. The other guitar I have them in is a hollow body and it doesn't have the feedback issue. I would have thought it would have been exactly the opposite of that. After some research I found out that the Pearly Gates pickup is essentially the Seth Lover but is wax potted. I went to those and the feedback issue went away and the guitar still sounded great. I recently put the Seths back in and sold the guitar.

My biggest issue with them is that in one of the guitars that has them has unwanted feedback issues at gig volumes...
Ok, good to know. Remains to be seen if I end up having similar issues in my case.
Hopefully not 🙃

Back