How much do you like/dislike HFS pickups?

How would you rate HFS pickups?

• Extremely excellent

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Really good

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • pretty good

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • OK

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Not that great

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Really dislike them

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Hate 'em

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
It was an improvement (for me), but they weren't as "PAF sounding" as I'd hoped. I should have gone with Duncans, but I wasn't used to pickup changes and didn't know quite what would work at the time. So I figured the Gibson pickups would be a safe bet.

This was long before the plethora of pickups builders who are now popular were offering more authentic vintage sounding sets.
Which Gibson pickups did you have put in?
It's interesting that builders other than Gibson are better at making a pickup that sounds like an old Gibson pickup.

Which Gibson pickups did you have put in?
It's interesting that builders other than Gibson are better at making a pickup that sounds like an old Gibson pickup.
It was whatever Gibson was selling as their vintage PAF style pickup in 1991. That's all I remember. It's been 33 years.

I'm sure I just said to my dealer, can we make this sound more like a vintage PAF, and he said, sure, have the tech install these. It's not like you could pull up a YouTube video and do comparisons in those days.

Apparently the plastic box had already been invented, because that's what they came in. ;)

Last edited:
Very versatile pickups if you know how to use the volume knob. No one makes more usable volume/tone controls than PRS.

They are very, very good with high gain. I had one in the bridge position of a McCarty standard in drop C for a decade. I think they are particularly good with all mahogany guitars like the VR you got coming.

Back