How much do you like/dislike HFS pickups?

How would you rate HFS pickups?

• Extremely excellent

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Really good

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • pretty good

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • OK

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Not that great

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Really dislike them

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Hate 'em

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Guithartic

For hot pickups, playing high gain rock/metal, how much do you like or dislike what the HFS pickups do?
Just curious how others find them. I'm getting a Vernon Reid signature in the mail soon, and they have two HFSs.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I have had one, but I always liked it. I had a ‘96 CE24 with the rotary. My favorite position was the middle with one coil of each pickup. The only reason I moved on was because I was interested in a 22 fret guitar.

I generally dont like higain puckups.

Only interesting one I ever played was a Steve's Special (DiMarzio), because it has a little bit of a classic mid scooped EQ profile. HFS has a mid forward profile, which does not work for me.

I like them, but I never split them (via the 5 way rotary) in my old Custom 24... so I got a set of HFS/VB for my 97 CE22 (as I prefer the 22 fret models to the 24) and I find the HFS a little more to my liking than the Dragon 1 for drop tuned stuff (nothing crazy - this is my drop-D guitar...I also swapped the 5-way for a 3-way switch). I keep my Dragon 2s in standard.

I love the HFS/VB pickup combo and miss it. I don't have a guitar with those pickups anymore, but I kinda wish I did. Great for a lot of stuff, great interaction with the volume knob.

I dug all the different sounds my Custom 24 had with those pickups. Clean and dirty. I'm not a metal player, I used them for everything really. Not my favorite pickup, but a classic for sure.

I have them in my ‘88 Goldtop 24 Special, and my ‘95 Purple Custom 24.

I love them for the high gain stuff, which they do a fine job of.

I don’t automatically pull the stock pickups like a lot of players, and install my favorite set of HB’ers.

I like my guitars to have their own sound and do what they do best.

So in this regard, I love HFS pickups for what they are.

Last edited:
My '99 standard came with bridge HFS, and it was great at nothing in particular. I got it swapped for a set of 59/09 (much better), then Tremonti treble (back to dull station) and finally Alnico Metal TCI when it blew my brains out and still blowing.

The main thing I liked about a set of HFS/VB is how fast it got sold on Reverb

Did about the same with my 92 CE. Put some SD 59s in there. Worked a whole lot better to my taste.
It was an improvement (for me), but they weren't as "PAF sounding" as I'd hoped. I should have gone with Duncans, but I wasn't used to pickup changes and didn't know quite what would work at the time. So I figured the Gibson pickups would be a safe bet.

This was long before the plethora of pickups builders who are now popular were offering more authentic vintage sounding sets.

It was an improvement (for me), but they weren't as "PAF sounding" as I'd hoped. I should have gone with Duncans, but I wasn't used to pickup changes and didn't know quite what would work at the time. So I figured the Gibson pickups would be a safe bet.

This was long before the plethora of pickups builders who are now popular were offering more authentic vintage sounding sets.
We are lucky to have those indeed. And i did the swap in 2013 I think, after owning the guitar for about 4 yrs. However I was not much more knowledgeable at the time than SD and DiMarzio as far as PUs go. Ah well. Times have changed ;-).

Back