How do I tell the wattage on my 2 Channel H combo?

MichaelMaier

This thing is LOUD. I do not see anything on the amp to indicate its power rating. How can I tell?

Google shows Sweetwater had sales listings for both 20 and 50 watt combos. I suppose this could be 20 watts but it really feels like it's going to take my head off cranked on the lead channel.

look in the back and see if it has two 6L6 power tubes. If it has two power tubes it's a 50. I do think all "H"'s are 50. The Custom has a 20 and a 50.

2 Channel H is 50 watts :)
If you need to tame them a bit remember the effects loop is alway active it works like a power soak or second Master Volume enjoy I love mine

Well the front badge says "2 Channel H" and I can see 2 6L6 tubes written in the tube diagram in back, as well as the tubes themselves.

I should have mentioned at the start that the confusion originated with the evilBay auction listing saying it was a 20 watt amp. Could have been a simple typo on the number pad, I suppose.

But apparently there are some 20 watt H's out there:
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1932-NAD-2-Channel-H-Combo-20-watt!

I sure do use the effects loop for volume / voicing control; one of PRS's official videos sold me on this amp for that very reason.

But when it's cranked, it's downright dangerous! And sexy. I thoroughly love the clean channel. I still don't know exactly what I want out of the lead channel so it's tougher to dial in.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Well the front badge says "2 Channel H" and I can see 2 6L6 tubes written in the tube diagram in back, as well as the tubes themselves.

I should have mentioned at the start that the confusion originated with the evilBay auction listing saying it was a 20 watt amp. Could have been a simple typo on the number pad, I suppose.

But apparently there are some 20 watt H's out there:
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1932-NAD-2-Channel-H-Combo-20-watt!

I sure do use the effects loop for volume / voicing control; one of PRS's official videos sold me on this amp for that very reason.

But when it's cranked, it's downright dangerous! And sexy. I thoroughly love the clean channel. I still don't know exactly what I want out of the lead channel so it's tougher to dial in.

Thanks for the replies, though.

The 20 had 6V6 output tubes, so if you have 6L6, you have a 50.

You might want to ask PRS if it's possible to install 5881s (6L6 WGB is pretty much the same thing); they will break up earlier, and make the amp a bit crunchier. But the cleans will have less headroom, that being the trade off. Or even ask if the amp can be modded to operate with 6V6 tubes.

I once had Two-Rock install 5881s in an Onyx Signature, and it tamed a very loud amp, making it more studio friendly. If I recall, they had to do it (as opposed to simply doing it myself) because the amp needed to be tweaked internally.

Last edited:
I don't intend to change anything until I get a lot more time playing it under my fingers and figure out exactly what I like/dislike about it. So far, it's awesome, I just find it really freaking LOUD.

Yes the H is LOUD ( like any good 50+ way amp will be my Boogie is even louder IMHO )
You can just ( Barely ) get it to a " bedroom level ( 60db ish ) below that it just sounds funny ( as any tube amp seems to when turned down really low ) you can run the loop at 1/3 and the masters at just below 1/3 I then run the channel at 1/2 for clean and a bit below 1/2 for gain OR put a pedal ( compressor or good OD / Clean boost ) set lower than your amp level to tame it a bit :)

Back