How Do I Identify a korina McCarty Trem from a CU22?

tonyvenn

Hi.....

There seems to be a few McCarty Trem models floating around out there right now....

Specifically, the ones I've found seem to all be from 2009, with a Korina body and quilt top. But none have a McCarty TRC.

I know a McCarty body will be thicker....BUT...

Can I identify them by way of serial number?
Will they be identfied in the pickup cavities?

What should I be looking for?

I'm sure PRS Cust Service has better things to do than field 10 emails from me asking "can you verify this serial number?" LOL

The last thing I want is to be sold a regular CU22...

Any advice?

Thanks.....

T.

A McCarty will have a thinner headstock than a CU22, a thicker body, vintage type non-locking Kluson style tuning pegs with plastic buttons, McCarty pickups, toggle switching...

Should be pretty easy to identify.

A McCarty trem is likely to have regular PRS locking tuners, not the Kluson's. And, McSwitching has been used on Cu22' & Cu24's. I can see how it might be difficult to discern a Cu22 w/McSwitching with a McCarty...

In this pic, on the right is a ME1 (McCarty derivative), on the left is a Cu22 trem w/McCarty switching.

BlacksGreys.JPG

Can I identify them by way of serial number?
Will they be identfied in the pickup cavities?

What should I be looking for?

E-mail PRS with the SN and they should be able to verify the model.
The model is usually indicated on the body under the bridge pickup.

Physically, you'll have the aforementioned thicker body and thinner headstock. Also, not 100% sure if it's the same on the Trem models, but McCarty guitars have a sharper headstock angle compared to the customs.

There were some Korina McCartys in that time frame that came stock with 57/08s and 59/09s. I'd pretty much have to look in the pickup cavities. BTW, did PRS make any korina Custom 22s back then?

I knew the headstock angle was different from stoptail to tremolo. Wasn't sure about McTrem versus Custom trem.

Back