How Did You Afford Your First New PRS?

i remember meat. you won’t find it in a city street or cracker jack box. i love you sergio, and you too everybody. however;- i am ‘so drunk right now’. noel coward drunk.

I love you too, buddy. And I’m on my way to Johnny Depp drunk.... without the domestic violence, and $15,000 a month wine habit... as a matter of fact scratch that, I’m more like on my way to mommy book club drunk.

I spent months putting money aside until I had enough saved up. I was not in a position to decide to buy on a whim and decided to save as much as I could by limiting my spending to just the essentials (food, bills etc) to maximise my saving potential - even to the point of not looking at other (especially cheaper) options so I wasn't tempted to buy those instead of persevering with saving. That method has also helped me add to my PRS collection since...

In 1991, was working on a national ad for a car company. The creative director was at my studio, and asked for a guitar part. I dug out my ancient SG Special and plugged it into some rackmount POS solid-state amp substitute that was all the rage in studios for a half a second that year, and played.

Turned out this creative director was a good guitar player. We talked guitar for a few minutes. Finally, he looked me in the eye and said, "Les, you need to get more into guitar tone. I'd probably have you do more of our ads."

National ads pay well. I didn't need to be told twice! As soon as the client left, I immediately went out and started looking for the best solid body guitar I could think of, which at the time (in my head) was a Les Paul. What the heck, I read studio magazines, not guitar magazines, at the time.

I had a friend who owned a music store, and while I was running the rack of Gibsons he had, he brought out a guitar I'd never heard of. He said it was a kind of new company, but it was the best guitar he'd ever played and killed the Les Paul I was trying out.

So I tried it. Played great. Sounded killer! I wrote a check for it, and a Mesa amp, on the spot. I remember I couldn't wait to be parted from my money (I may still be that way ;)). The guitar was a cherry sunburst PRS Custom (at the time there was no such thing as a CU22, the CU24 was just a 'Custom'). Rediscovered what tone was.

That was a good day!

And I worked with that client for many years.

Last edited:
2018 S2 cu24 on my hospital bed right before my surgery. Really thought it was going to be my last purchase. Now looking for more......

I’ll be more happy when you get your next one than I’ll be when I get my next one! I mean that!!! And I’m still giddy over this stuff because I’m not wealthy, and it is a big deal to me!

But, not as big a deal for me as it is for someone that I worried might never get another one, and prayed for. When you get close, you let me know and I’ll contribute to the cause.

I was trying to collect one of every major shape ( IE LP , Strat , Tele , Ibanez etc ) I was on the lookout for an SG.
I was shopping Musicians Friend and stumbled on this ( Yea Sergio has it now ) It was the most I EVER spent on a guitar ( tho my LP was close )
One Musicians Friend Credit card and 6 months no interest and it was mine. first of many to follow.

PRS-Boogie by

Here is the KL on the wall , I said at the time on the PRS Forums that I really like my PRS but I would never own all PRS. Turns out that was not true.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i3n3Mf]DSCF6750
by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htu6db]IMG_5112
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/[/url][/url]

I was trying to collect one of every major shape ( IE LP , Strat , Tele , Ibanez etc ) I was on the lookout for an SG.
I was shopping Musicians Friend and stumbled on this ( Yea Sergio has it now ) It was the most I EVER spent on a guitar ( tho my LP was close )
One Musicians Friend Credit card and 6 months no interest and it was mine. first of many to follow.

PRS-Boogie by

Here is the KL on the wall , I said at the time on the PRS Forums that I really like my PRS but I would never own all PRS. Turns out that was not true.

DSCF6750 by
IMG_5112 by

Man, that was my third Core PRS, and I recall we both said we’d be eating ramen for the rest of the month after that deal!

I paid for it half way by babysitting my sister’s three Northshore kids, and the other half painting a basement with raw cedar walls that soaked up about a gallon of paint per square inch.

I’ll be more happy when you get your next one than I’ll be when I get my next one! I mean that!!! And I’m still giddy over this stuff because I’m not wealthy, and it is a big deal to me!

But, not as big a deal for me as it is for someone that I worried might never get another one, and prayed for. When you get close, you let me know and I’ll contribute to the cause.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Ok. Here we go again.

Well I'm late to the party but I'll say this.

My friends dad had a prs when I was learning to play....once I started to know a thing or three. After playing the racks locally for years I realized that what I ultimately wanted was a prs. This was around 99 or 2000 once I realized.

So, making around $7 usd/hr I just started saving every penny I could. ALWAYS brought my lunches from home. NEVER bought any unnecessary crap while out and about, whether during work hours or chilling with friends. Not even a 25 cent little debbie snack or a beverage...NOTHING. Within about 3 years I had a decent marshall amp and a brand new custom 24. I had to take a 6 hour round trip just to try any. Now they're only 20 minutes away.

Was it difficult? Not very.

Was it worth the "sacrifice" and wait? TOTALLY!

I still earn crap wages to this day. But if someone living even slightly above poverty really wants it, they have no children, and they're smart with funds....even if it takes 5 years, they can own a core model. Luckily for me and the rest of the world I have no offspring. Lol. Even with children I think most people could at least get a used one if following my example. IDK but IMO...but you know what they say about opinions....

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Now go get those PRS guitars. :cool::D

I was a college student with a significant shortage of funds in about 1985-1986 when I first started buying Guitar Player magazine. I'd scraped together about $300 for a Kramer Focus and some little trashy Peavey practice amp. Then a summer or two later a Fender '65 Deluxe amp and an Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul Deluxe copy came my way for the princely sum of $200 courtesy of the local classified ads. I didn't know how to work that Fender amp 'cause it didn't sound like Metallica, so needless to say I should have kept it but didn't. At the time I met a guy who had a Jackson, and I swore I'd never spend $1000 on a guitar (how wrong I was... :rolleyes:).

Anyway I started seeing the PRS ads, and the first "PRS Guitar" review by Harvey Citron in one of the GP issues and developed a serious case of lust for PRS, though I figured that guitar was forever out of reach. That lust was abetted by a visit to the Warmoth factory (i.e. family home and workshop) in Puyallup, WA where I learned about quilted maple for the very first time and was absolutely smitten. They also had a walnut-bodied strat that was incredible, but that's another story.

Fast forward a few years and I was out of school and gainfully employed. My arsenal had grown to include my first real American-mode grown-up guitar, a Fender HM Strat (hey, it was the late 80's, what can i say?). Along about '92 I saw a local classified ad for a "PRS electric guitar" for $700. I called immediately to take a look at it, wondering if it could possibly be real. It was real, and turned out to be an '89 Classic Electric in Pearl Black (which is of course a metallic blue).

Looking at it, I was underwhelmed because there was no pretty figured top, no pretty birds. I didn't care much for the maple fretboard. As I looked closer, I saw the yellow-tinted finish on the neck had been applied right over the dots, right over the frets. The selector knob was cracked, and the neck pickup ring was all smunched up into the neck and deformed -- obviously from the factory that way.

But it played great, sounded great, and at the time I thought "this is a screaming deal at $700 and I'll never own a PRS any other way" (how wrong I was.... :rolleyes:). So I scarfed it up and took it to a gig that very night. That guitar and my Mark III Boogie had a torrid thing going from the very start, and my wife even told me "you play better on that guitar," so I was sold!

Oddly, my jones to acquire guitars went dormant at that point. It wasn't until probably 9 years later that I bought my second PRS, a splendid '01 Singlecut in emerald quilt that I will take to my grave. It just got a pair of 53/10s installed in it, BTW. After I bought that guitar, I discovered pretty guitar forums, and ever since I have been snookered into buying about one PRS guitar each year...

I was a college student with a significant shortage of funds in about 1985-1986 when I first started buying Guitar Player magazine. I'd scraped together about $300 for a Kramer Focus and some little trashy Peavey practice amp. Then a summer or two later a Fender '65 Deluxe amp and an Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul Deluxe copy came my way for the princely sum of $200 courtesy of the local classified ads. I didn't know how to work that Fender amp 'cause it didn't sound like Metallica, so needless to say I should have kept it but didn't. At the time I met a guy who had a Jackson, and I swore I'd never spend $1000 on a guitar (how wrong I was... :rolleyes:).

Anyway I started seeing the PRS ads, and the first "PRS Guitar" review by Harvey Citron in one of the GP issues and developed a serious case of lust for PRS, though I figured that guitar was forever out of reach. That lust was abetted by a visit to the Warmoth factory (i.e. family home and workshop) in Puyallup, WA where I learned about quilted maple for the very first time and was absolutely smitten. They also had a walnut-bodied strat that was incredible, but that's another story.

Fast forward a few years and I was out of school and gainfully employed. My arsenal had grown to include my first real American-mode grown-up guitar, a Fender HM Strat (hey, it was the late 80's, what can i say?). Along about '92 I saw a local classified ad for a "PRS electric guitar" for $700. I called immediately to take a look at it, wondering if it could possibly be real. It was real, and turned out to be an '89 Classic Electric in Pearl Black (which is of course a metallic blue).

Looking at it, I was underwhelmed because there was no pretty figured top, no pretty birds. I didn't care much for the maple fretboard. As I looked closer, I saw the yellow-tinted finish on the neck had been applied right over the dots, right over the frets. The selector knob was cracked, and the neck pickup ring was all smunched up into the neck and deformed -- obviously from the factory that way.

But it played great, sounded great, and at the time I thought "this is a screaming deal at $700 and I'll never own a PRS any other way" (how wrong I was.... :rolleyes:). So I scarfed it up and took it to a gig that very night. That guitar and my Mark III Boogie had a torrid thing going from the very start, and my wife even told me "you play better on that guitar," so I was sold!

Oddly, my jones to acquire guitars went dormant at that point. It wasn't until probably 9 years later that I bought my second PRS, a splendid '01 Singlecut in emerald quilt that I will take to my grave. It just got a pair of 53/10s installed in it, BTW. After I bought that guitar, I discovered pretty guitar forums, and ever since I have been snookered into buying about one PRS guitar each year...

you could play bingo with the guitar phrases in this post, it’s like reading a guitar player column. ‘pre lawsuit ibanez’, ‘warmoth factory’, ‘princely sum’,...

Last June I decided it was time I owned a PRS. Bought a Trampas Green SE CU24. I noticed about a week later that the pole piece for the b string on the bridge pickup was just a slug and had no screw slot. I emailed PTC and they said I could either return it to Sam Ash or they could ship me a replacement pickup. I decided to return it because I also had come to realize I really did not like 24 fret necks. When I returned it I was going to order a SE CU22 but the wait was like 4 weeks so I decided to just return it and get my money back.

Flash forward to November and My wife and I are in GC getting some strings. They have a gorgeous Black/Gold Burst Core Custom 22 hanging on the wall. I get them to unlock it and play it for about 10 minuets. I can't stop smiling, the guitar sounds incredible and plays like a dream. I go to hand it back to the sales guy and my wife says, "what are you doing, you have to buy that guitar". So I of course am not going to argue with my wife so the Cu 22 comes home with me.

Now around early February I am really wanting a 60's style Strat. I have a 50's style with my EJ Sig but no 60's. I was so impressed with my CU 22 in quality, tone, playability and everything that I of course went right to the Silver Sky. It came in three weeks ago.

This is how I got my two US Made PRS guitars. Electrics are harder for me as my wife loves acoustics. It only took 1 minuet of playing my Taylor 914ce V Class for my wife to say oh yeah, buy that!

Back