How can I tell if 97 Custom 24 had a rotary switch originally?

phillybri

Probably a question for a luthier, but can I tell just from the Serial # if a Custom 24 originally had a rotary switch?

Serial # is 732549...

If you email PRS customer support they can usually tell you based on the serial number. I don't know how far back their records go, but I'd say you've got a good chance with a 97.

If you have the guitar in hand you could also look for the MODCAT sticker.

Probably a question for a luthier, but can I tell just from the Serial # if a Custom 24 originally had a rotary switch?

Serial # is 732549...
Send the serial number to PRS and ask them. It should be part of the spec sheet they keep. I think most all of them had the rotary back then. It was not real common to see a CU24 with the three way toggle. Those were seen more frequently in the CU22.

The fly in the ointment is that if it originally had a rotary, and a toggle was swapped in, I think the hole for the toggle needed to be routed a bit wider to be able to drop in the rotary.

Just going by memory here.
That is true. Depending on how they did it and how far they took it, you could possibly go back. The best way to do them was to use a reamer and take it a little bit at a time until the toggle just fits in the hole. That way it could be possible to revert it.

Ryan at PRS Customer Service has confirmed that the guitar was initially shipped with a rotary switch, but my luthier is telling me that the third wire in the pickups that facilitate pickup splitting have been cut, so I can't go back to a rotary switch.

Bummer...

Like cut at the bobbin? Did the previous owner put in a toggle with no push/pull? If there is any wire left at all, just splice in a new wire. Been there done that many times before.

Plus going back to rotary you will need to accommodate for the larger hole that was drilled for the toggle.

Like cut at the bobbin? Did the previous owner put in a toggle with no push/pull? If there is any wire left at all, just splice in a new wire. Been there done that many times before.

Plus going back to rotary you will need to accommodate for the larger hole that was drilled for the toggle.
Yes, the previous owner installed a toggle without a push/pull...

Back