Hollowbody or Semi-Hollow P24 - PS the only way?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Hi all,

I have a hankering for a particular combination of features on a guitar, driven by the PRSi I currently have. I don't have much in the way of funds right now, so this is mostly a thought experiment or mental exercise (in frustration, I guess).

Basically, I'd like my Spruce HB (with piezo) to be a 24-fretter, and frankly I wouldn't mind trying the HBII configuration, with maple cap and back - should give my sound a bit more spunk. Or conversely I'd like my Cu24 to have a piezo and be a hollow or semi-hollowbody. The only 24-fret PRS with a piezo is the P24, AFAIK, which is solid body.

For those of you that have or have tried a P22 and a HBII, how much does the hollowbody element add to or alter the sound?

I don't gig high-volume death metal through high-gain amps (although I'd love to!), so the fear of feedback is not an issue for me.

Comments or suggestions on whether a PS is the only true solution, or is a solid-body P24 a 95% solution for 50% of the cost, as it were?

Any chance that PRS could release a special 30th anniv semi-hollow P24, which would basically fit my bill?

Hmm, that P24 Semi is still available. Too bad it is at a price as predicted - well over double a regular P24. But it really is a beautiful guitar.

Forgot to mention, I also need/want a trem bridge, again to differentiate from my current HB. And a pattern thin neck would be good too. I don't think I'd like the relatively narrowness of a pattern regular, but I should try one before passing judgment. I think all my PRSi are Wide Fat or Wide Thin...(well, except the MM which is a special baritone carve).

And a Brazzy board might be nice, although I might go for an ebony board on a RW neck, either of which is AP territory...

So, I'm thinking one of the limited runs at Brians or one of the other knowledgeable PRS dealers might be what I need to do.

Oh, and save up my pennies.

I agree with this!!! Sweetwater has a number of P24's listed at around $3400, don't see many on the used market right now.

Yeah, I was checking them out yesterday. If I had $3400 spare I would have bought one, too.

This more of a long-range plan, and I'd like to make sure I get the (semi-hollow?) P24 of my dreams, and not settle for "almost perfect". So since the ones at Sweetwater are not wide-thin necks, my temptation was diminished. And I'd really like to try something with a RW neck and/or ebony/Brazzy fretboard.

My investigations and quest continue, as I watch those pennies I was trying to count go right out the window for the Christmas season...

Maybe my girlfriend will get a really big raise and buy me a PS! :spitcoffee: Bwa hahahahahahahah! Sigh...I kill me...we both work at the same place, they don't give out even small raises, certainly not big ones...

Yeah, I was checking them out yesterday. If I had $3400 spare I would have bought one, too.

This more of a long-range plan, and I'd like to make sure I get the (semi-hollow?) P24 of my dreams, and not settle for "almost perfect". So since the ones at Sweetwater are not wide-thin necks, my temptation was diminished. And I'd really like to try something with a RW neck and/or ebony/Brazzy fretboard.

My investigations and quest continue, as I watch those pennies I was trying to count go right out the window for the Christmas season...

Maybe my girlfriend will get a really big raise and buy me a PS! :spitcoffee: Bwa hahahahahahahah! Sigh...I kill me...we both work at the same place, they don't give out even small raises, certainly not big ones...

Well the biggest issue with your P24 semi-hollow lust is that the piezo-equipped models don't have the OPTION of neck carve choice, so outside of going PS you're probably not going to see a P24 with a W/T neck carve, much less a semi-hollow P24 with that neck. ;) Neck shape on the P22/P24 models is Pattern Regular. I hear you though, I think that a semihollow P24 would be fantastic! If I had the funds I'd actually grab that blue fade PS as I had considered that one previously, just can't swing it. :(

Well the biggest issue with your P24 semi-hollow lust is that the piezo-equipped models don't have the OPTION of neck carve choice, so outside of going PS you're probably not going to see a P24 with a W/T neck carve, much less a semi-hollow P24 with that neck. ;) Neck shape on the P22/P24 models is Pattern Regular. I hear you though, I think that a semihollow P24 would be fantastic! If I had the funds I'd actually grab that blue fade PS as I had considered that one previously, just can't swing it. :(

Ah, that was true for 2014, but the 2015 model spec states:

Neck Shape Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular

http://www.prsguitars.com/p24/specs.php

yay for me!

Therefore, I am keeping my eyes peeled for stock of the 2015 models...

I'd say to take a look for a used P model actually from a place like GC online as I have seen them pop up at great prices.
Also, since you mentioned wanting a trem, have you thought about possibly getting one of the new S2 semi-hollows and having it modded for the Piezo bridge? I made a post hypothesizing a similar question a while back ago as I too have been looking for an HBII with the Piezo to better benefit the songs in my banbds set (originals, not covers though). I have tried a P model and in comparison to a HB or SHB to a solidbody or P model yes, there is a difference. The HB just breathes better.

I'd say to take a look for a used P model actually from a place like GC online as I have seen them pop up at great prices.
Also, since you mentioned wanting a trem, have you thought about possibly getting one of the new S2 semi-hollows and having it modded for the Piezo bridge? I made a post hypothesizing a similar question a while back ago as I too have been looking for an HBII with the Piezo to better benefit the songs in my banbds set (originals, not covers though). I have tried a P model and in comparison to a HB or SHB to a solidbody or P model yes, there is a difference. The HB just breathes better.

I did think about an S2 Semi-hollow with piezo bridge mod, but the problem is the only S2 semi-hollows are 22-fretters. Plus, as mentioned, I want this to be my dream guitar (at least, my current dream), and a retro-fitted S2 would seem like a huge compromise.

I can afford to wait (well, look at it this way, I can't afford anything right now, so I have to wait!), and the 2015 models should offer up something when the time is right.

I do browse the usual places for used models: GC, Reverb, CL, eBay. I'm sure if something comes up at a steal of a price I will strongly consider it.

Hi all,

I have a hankering for a particular combination of features on a guitar, driven by the PRSi I currently have. I don't have much in the way of funds right now, so this is mostly a thought experiment or mental exercise (in frustration, I guess).

Basically, I'd like my Spruce HB (with piezo) to be a 24-fretter, and frankly I wouldn't mind trying the HBII configuration, with maple cap and back - should give my sound a bit more spunk. Or conversely I'd like my Cu24 to have a piezo and be a hollow or semi-hollowbody. The only 24-fret PRS with a piezo is the P24, AFAIK, which is solid body.

For those of you that have or have tried a P22 and a HBII, how much does the hollowbody element add to or alter the sound?

I don't gig high-volume death metal through high-gain amps (although I'd love to!), so the fear of feedback is not an issue for me.

Comments or suggestions on whether a PS is the only true solution, or is a solid-body P24 a 95% solution for 50% of the cost, as it were?

Any chance that PRS could release a special 30th anniv semi-hollow P24, which would basically fit my bill?

Above and beyond:
http://musicstorelive.com/2013-prs-private-stock-p24-trem-semi-hollow-blue-fade.html

I think someone just bought it.

I did think about an S2 Semi-hollow with piezo bridge mod, but the problem is the only S2 semi-hollows are 22-fretters. Plus, as mentioned, I want this to be my dream guitar (at least, my current dream), and a retro-fitted S2 would seem like a huge compromise.

I can afford to wait (well, look at it this way, I can't afford anything right now, so I have to wait!), and the 2015 models should offer up something when the time is right.

I do browse the usual places for used models: GC, Reverb, CL, eBay. I'm sure if something comes up at a steal of a price I will strongly consider it.

Agreed. I suppose that's why I didn't pick up an S2 yet to make that mod.

Back