High output pickups - recommendations?

I put \m/ into a CE24 Standard. Great under gain, but clean was just too much for me in the bridge. bridge is now 59/09 and neck still \m/ but very low pickup height.
My \m/ were uncovered btw. available here and there at dealers and reverb.

My kid's SE has HFS/VB and they're great both under gain and clean. HFS are not listed on PRS site these days. Discontinued? Still out there with dealers/reverb.

I'd vote HFS/VB if you still want cleans. \m/ cleans are fine but VERY full IMO.

My advise, probably both too early and too late, is don't. I did that path in the 80s and have watched countless others do the same only to come back. You cannot beat the dynamics and reponse of low output pickups. They are musical in a way high output cannot be. You can always boost a low output pickup but you cannot make a high output one sound good. That's the dilemma.

My advise, probably both too early and too late, is don't. I did that path in the 80s and have watched countless others do the same only to come back. You cannot beat the dynamics and reponse of low output pickups. They are musical in a way high output cannot be. You can always boost a low output pickup but you cannot make a high output one sound good. That's the dilemma.
I mostly agree with this, although I think there are some high output exceptions. Your mileage may vary, but the SD Distortion is both high output and dynamic enough to still get classic rock and blues tones out of. I'm sure there must be others out there about which I'd also feel this way.
My opinions on guitar gear are ALL subject to change, however.

Back