Hen's Teeth

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Just shy of 3 years ago, I got my hands on a very rare set of pickups; 4-lead 57/08's with zebra squabbins. Shawn and I spent time discussing what I was going to do with them. Pickups like this can't be randomly tossed into any old guitar. No sir.

After a few weeks, I told Shawn they needed to go into an SE Custom Semi-Hollow with Bigsby. I even photoshopped a mock-up whilst working-out details with Sergio. Shawn laughed and asked why I'd put a set of 'Hen's Teeth' into an SE. I am hoping this thread answers that question.

In the years that followed, those pickups sat in their boxes while I hunted the guitar; which turned-out to be a lot harder than I thought. While I would have settled for a black SE Custom SH Bigsby (they look like a million bucks), the maple-top version of this model was my first choice and I am thrilled to finally have one. I am as excited about this guitar as any other in my house. SE haters can suck it.

The first thing I did was play the guitar to get a baseline. Then I wrote down the things I wanted to tweak and ordered some parts.

First thing ordered was a proper set of knobs. I have quite a few options in my parts drawer but none of them were quite right. In the end, these ebony and faux ivory knobs from Crazy Parts did the trick. I love how they sustain the white-binding motif and the ebony matches the fretboard perfectly. Also, they are made here in Germany so delivery was fast. I did have to etch some texture into the tone knob though. It was too slick for push/pull duties.

i-ssg52DH-X3.jpg

Next, I ordered an ABM 2400n bridge with brass rollers from Thomann. Here it is (right) with the stock SE bridge (left). I added a few kinks to the threads of the bridge posts before installation. They were perfectly snug for better transfer of energy.

i-SgpsGGB-X3.jpg

Then it was time to disassemble the guitar and start the real work. The factory shielding was quite thin so I added another coat. I also ensured the back plate was shielded. Then all shielding was properly grounded.

I replaced the stock volume pot with a 500k SuperPot and added a push/pull tone pot. My plan is to take full-advantage of the 4-lead pickups.

i-Frtgz2S-X2.jpg

i-7bfTCjZ-X2.jpg

From there, I created a template for a stinger, taped-up the neck, and removed the gloss finish. This was a huge improvement in feel and playability.

i-TJNzHLk-X2.jpg

i-XhWZrnq-X2.jpg

i-BvKKKjr-X2.jpg

i-KqK8Vmm-X2.jpg

i-2WfDx4K-X2.jpg

The stock nut was huge, blocky, stark-white, and too deep/tight. Here's how looked before I modified it.

Note the stock truss rod cover.

i-Tj8c3Jc-XL.jpg

I reshaped the stock nut and significantly reduced its depth. Then I widened the string grooves. Finally, I stained it with some espresso and a q-tip. That worked great. Now, it looks better and is silky smooth; especially after adding some Big Bends Nut Sauce.

i-cdT8VNS-X2.jpg

From there, I plugged the original TRC screw hole and drilled a new hole for a US-spec TRC.

i-LpH2g4K-X2.jpg

Now there is no gap between the US-spec TRC and the nut.

This guitar was made in 2011 so I thought this particular Signature Club TRC was fitting. It matches the stock pick-guard and black ebony fretboard. I love how it looks in juxtaposition to the maple headstock.

i-KCHfMmq-X2.jpg

Next was the frets. They were in need of a good polishing and there were a few sharp edges. I gave it some sweet lovin'. Now it's silky smooth.

i-F4Qzv39-X3.jpg

After the guitar was wired-up, it was time to make sure it was properly attached its player. That meant removing the stock buttons and replacing them with some black Schaller S-Locks.

i-Rj9Tp8s-X2.jpg

And finally - after spending a few hours dialing-in the neck relief, action, intonation, and pickup height - it was time to grab a few Glamour Shots.

I hope you agree that this was the right guitar for my Hen's Teeth. It sounds and plays as good as I had hoped.

i-KfTVBTg-X4.jpg

i-hpzJ837-X4.jpg

i-9sL8ZQ4-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Back