Help with neck profiles

Isthisstillforsale?

I’m currently looking for a Core Custom or Standard 22 stoptail with a Standard or Pattern Regular neck carve. Were any of these made besides PS?

Depends on the year you’re looking for, and others would know better than I would… but if you’re looking for a non-McCarty stoptail Cu22, the neck profile most likely would be Wide Fat—which others say is “the same” as Pattern Regular, but my hands disagree. And yes, there would be non-PS versions in the wild, though not too many.

They were an option for quite a while. My CU24 Brazilian has a standard neck carve and my 25th Anniversary Mira also has the Standard carve as well. It’s super comfortable and plays really well.

Depends on the year you’re looking for, and others would know better than I would… but if you’re looking for a non-McCarty stoptail Cu22, the neck profile most likely would be Wide Fat—which others say is “the same” as Pattern Regular, but my hands disagree. And yes, there would be non-PS versions in the wild, though not too many.
Funny thing is that happened just an hour or two ago. A seller responded to me and said the neck on his guitar was “the regular one”. Paperwork shown later read “Pattern” which I had to explain is basically the updated Wide/Fat. He didn’t realize there’s a carve that’s called “Pattern Regular” which is basically the new “Standard”.

I think PRS could have gone a different route with their new neck carve to avoid this confusion but it’s not that big of a deal since their Standard neck carve is essentially still available for folks like me, just harder to find certain PRS core models with one

I was looking for a core CU22 with a regular/standard neck a while back and never found any. And I think when I did some research I found that they were only made with W/F and W/T. However, there always seem to be exceptions to these rules, so you never know. Good luck!

I was looking for a core CU22 with a regular/standard neck a while back and never found any. And I think when I did some research I found that they were only made with W/F and W/T. However, there always seem to be exceptions to these rules, so you never know. Good luck!
This right here ^^^. The CU22 typically came with the W/F carve. There was an option to order them with a W/T neck carve years ago. I don't think I have ever seen a Regular neck carve on a CU22 core. I have definitely seen it on a CU24, but not a CU22.

I do however own a P22 and a P22 Trem that both have the Regular neck carve. These are great guitars. You could get a P22 stop tail and get what you are looking for with the bonus of the piezo system in it. Mine are basically a slightly thicker CU22 with piezo in it.

This right here ^^^. The CU22 typically came with the W/F carve. There was an option to order them with a W/T neck carve years ago. I don't think I have ever seen a Regular neck carve on a CU22 core. I have definitely seen it on a CU24, but not a CU22.

I do however own a P22 and a P22 Trem that both have the Regular neck carve. These are great guitars. You could get a P22 stop tail and get what you are looking for with the bonus of the piezo system in it. Mine are basically a slightly thicker CU22 with piezo in it.
It’s interesting how PRS tosses the Regular neck carve into certain models and levels. There are quite a few S2 models with that carve available. Also limited runs- I came across a limited core Mira (100 made) that I thought was really cool but it had a wide/thin neck which I do not jive with. I happened to see another for sale somewhere and gave it a look and bam, Standard neck carve right on the hang tag. Makes me feel like a bit of a madman when I’m looking at PRS guitars for sale, especially when the seller has no idea and just says, “it’s not too thick but not that thin”.

I looked into the P22 and that’s a really cool guitar. Is it thicker like a McCarty?

It’s interesting how PRS tosses the Regular neck carve into certain models and levels. There are quite a few S2 models with that carve available. Also limited runs- I came across a limited core Mira (100 made) that I thought was really cool but it had a wide/thin neck which I do not jive with. I happened to see another for sale somewhere and gave it a look and bam, Standard neck carve right on the hang tag. Makes me feel like a bit of a madman when I’m looking at PRS guitars for sale, especially when the seller has no idea and just says, “it’s not too thick but not that thin”.

I looked into the P22 and that’s a really cool guitar. Is it thicker like a McCarty?
I pulled my P22 Trem out and took a quick look at the thickness. I had heard these were thicker due to them needing the space for the piezo system. My P22 Trem looks to be the same thickness as my DGT. I then started thinking that the DGT is quite possibly McCarty thickness. I then looked at it compared to my Studio and CU22. The Stucio looks to be a little thicker than the P22. The P22 looks to be about the same thickness as my 06 CU22. All of them are thinner than my 594 double cut.

“it’s not too thick but not that thin”.
Descriptions like that were perfectly acceptable before the internet informed me I should obsses about something more than it deserves.. :)

Every neck carve mentioned is comfortable in its own way and real world experience can vary from specs and neck to neck. The WT or PT aren't really all that thin, but sometimes are thinner or thicker than others. The WF or Pattern aren't really all that fat, but sometimes are thicker or thinner. Then there's the pattern regular and its narrower nut, but otherwise can be closer to a WF and Pattern and occasionally maybe even a chunky WT or PT.

Personally we all have favs.. mine used to be WT, then it became Pattern, but hey give me WF no problem, oh the PR that's close too and the nut width doesn't bother me like I thought it may. Then there's Santana, love it. They all serve a purpose, and I play each one a bit different. There's no Goldilocks for me anymore.

Last edited:

I would definitely go the P22 route for that neck carve! Can't beat that guitar!

I’ve been looking at P22’s- very cool guitars. Seems to have some great specs especially the option for the neck carve I want. The piezo isn’t something I need so I’d be paying extra for that but it gets me a stoptail 22 with a Regular neck without going PS. I can work with that. Thanks for the advice!

Descriptions like that were perfectly acceptable before the internet informed me I should obsses about something more than it deserves.. :)

Every neck carve mentioned is comfortable in its own way and real world experience can vary from specs and neck to neck. The WT or PT aren't really all that thin, but sometimes are thinner or thicker than others. The WF or Pattern aren't really all that fat, but sometimes are thicker or thinner. Then there's the pattern regular and its narrower nut, but otherwise can be closer to a WF and Pattern and occasionally maybe even a chunky WT or PT.

Personally we all have favs.. mine used to be WT, then it became Pattern, but hey give me WF no problem, oh the PR that's close too and the nut width doesn't bother me like I thought it may. Then there's Santana, love it. They all serve a purpose, and I play each one a bit different. There's no Goldilocks for me anymore.
I’ve tried and compared WT and PT, WF and Pattern, Standard and PR on about 20-25 different guitars and agree they’re not all the same. A bolt-on maple WT on an older CE was very different from a 2012 CU24 with a PT which I liked more. I had a beautiful CU22 stoptail Artist and a 2012 SC-245 both WF and could not get along with either. The nut width is more important to me than pretty much any other aspect. I now have 7 PRS’s, all core models and they’re all either PR or Standard. The neck on my core Standard Satin 24 is one of my favorites and has worn to a sweet, smooth finish.

I’ve been looking at P22’s- very cool guitars. Seems to have some great specs especially the option for the neck carve I want. The piezo isn’t something I need so I’d be paying extra for that but it gets me a stoptail 22 with a Regular neck without going PS. I can work with that. Thanks for the advice!
You may be surprised at how you can use the piezo once you get one. I love having that on tap when playing with a band, especially if it is a two guitar player band. It allows you to add another element that most bands don't have. I ran sound for Saving Abel at a venue down here a handful of years ago. One of their guitar players used a Piezo equipped PRS for a few songs.

I went down this rabbit hole years ago & can confirm if wanting a Core Custom 22 w/ Pattern Regular neck, a P22 is the only option outside of Private Stock. I've had mine for many years & love it, just wish it had regular PRS frets instead of jumbos.

I went down this rabbit hole years ago & can confirm if wanting a Core Custom 22 w/ Pattern Regular neck, a P22 is the only option outside of Private Stock. I've had mine for many years & love it, just wish it had regular PRS frets instead of jumbos.
I didn’t know they had jumbo frets. That’s interesting and appealing

Back