Help with colors...

I think guitar finishes that fade do so when exposed to sunlight (UV) more so than regular interior lighting (incandescent/fluorescent/LED), though who knows with the advent of mass-produced LED lighting now.

I have a (2007?) SAS in Blue Matteo that is such a strong vibrant blue you can't see the grain unless you are in strong sunlight, then it pops! I can't have faded at all, but it may have been a case-queen before I got it.

I strongly suspect you will be happy with whatever you get, so I wouldn't stress over it too much. But your narrowed list of choices are all nice finishes, IMHO.

But green guitars are always better. That's why I am on the hunt for another...

I think guitar finishes that fade do so when exposed to sunlight (UV) more so than regular interior lighting (incandescent/fluorescent/LED), though who knows with the advent of mass-produced LED lighting now.

I have a (2007?) SAS in Blue Matteo that is such a strong vibrant blue you can't see the grain unless you are in strong sunlight, then it pops! I can't have faded at all, but it may have been a case-queen before I got it.

I strongly suspect you will be happy with whatever you get, so I wouldn't stress over it too much. But your narrowed list of choices are all nice finishes, IMHO.

But green guitars are always better. That's why I am on the hunt for another...

I'll ask you the same question I asked another guy in a reply......Goes Blue Green count as green?

I say go with violet. You've mentioned it several times as a top contender. I doubt it will fade much if not left in sunlight. Just because it's a color that's been known to fade doesn't mean it will either. My 21 year old whale blue I've left in direct sunlight for long periods hasn't faded at all. I think it sometimes depends on the the piece of wood itself and how it takes the stain.

Anything blue is going to fade. Anything with blue in it does not react well to light. Emerald green is my favorite and because of the color, they seem to hold their intonation better. :)

Anything blue is going to fade. Anything with blue in it does not react well to light. Emerald green is my favorite and because of the color, they seem to hold their intonation better. :)

I don't know about that. I have a 2008 Cu22 in Whale Blue that never faded and got east sun all day. Pissed me off, so I sent it to the PTC. Now it's Purple Hazel!

Blue guitars sound best.
No, I'm pretty sure that's black gold. Red guitars sound the hottest. Blue guitars sound the coolest. Green guitars sound the most natural. I just happen to like purple guitars and pink guitars and blurple guitars and magenta guitars and fuchsia guitars, I don't care if they sound better or worse, they all sound the same to me.

Hey Guys, I'm thinking about going semi-hollow instead HBii. From what I can make of the videos I've heard the semi-hollow seems to have better tone in general. However, I would like to hear from anyone who has heard both. I'm definitely looking at my options and your knowledge would be welcome.

Hey Guys, I'm thinking about going semi-hollow instead HBii. From what I can make of the videos I've heard the semi-hollow seems to have better tone in general. However, I would like to hear from anyone who has heard both. I'm definitely looking at my options and your knowledge would be welcome.
I have both with 59/09 in them. I can't say which any one person would consider to have better tone. To me, both sound very good, but quite different.
The semi hollow is much closer to a solid body sound wise than the hollow body does. So, if you prefer a big meaty tone you might find the semi hollow more to your taste. The hollow body will give you more of the acoustic flavour typical of that type of guitar.

I have both with 59/09 in them. I can't say which any one person would consider to have better tone. To me, both sound very good, but quite different.
The semi hollow is much closer to a solid body sound wise than the hollow body does. So, if you prefer a big meaty tone you might find the semi hollow more to your taste. The hollow body will give you more of the acoustic flavour typical of that type of guitar.

Some one told me the semi-hollow was closer to a ES335 type sound than the HBii was which kind of surprised me. I thought the HBii would've been closer. Would your assessment be similar?

Tone is so personal. "Better" is purely up to the player, both because of what he prefers, and because of what his audience prefers. Too many variables, not enough equations.

Back