Help me decide on a core

All really great suggestions thanks everyone!

I think I am heavily leaning toward Paul's guitar. The guitars I have now satisfy my gigging needs, and I really want to buy a guitar that is just for "me". The PRS special is a really nice one - I tried one out and it's incredible. I just sold one of my hollowbodies though, and they don't really suit me atm.

Paul's guitar gives me the 25" scale I love, the toggle on the bottom (still hate it on the top, even though I play a LP...so 594 may be redundant). Also, I played an Experience 2018 Paul's guitar a while back, and it haunts me, that guitar was incredible. So I am probably going to order a new Paul's guitar and upgrade to the artist package. The pickups sound absolutely incredible.

Also for anyone who is curious, I found out that for Paul's guitar, only the regular colours are available due to the different way they apply the nitro finish on these guitars as opposed to all the others. That's definitely a disappointment, but it's still an awesome guitar.

Last thing I will mention on the subject of mode shapes/nodes/harmonics etc, is that if you just pluck a string, it will vibrate in its primary mode shape – i.e. that big up and down motion between the anchor points like a skipping rope going up and down, because it is vibrating at its resonance frequency. You will only get all of these other mode shapes if you are exciting the string at a frequency beyond the primary natural frequency by external means.

The only practical way to emulate these mode shapes is by holding a finger on the string above a node and playing the ‘natural harmonic’. It doesn’t quite do the same thing but it creates the same effect.

So the whole argument about losing out on all of these overtones due to pickup location is nonsense anyway, even on the open strings where mathematically the 24th fret lands on a node.

Sorry to hijack the thread! :)

This. Grab a nice one before they are gone.

I don't know how truthful this is but I was holding out for a Fire Red Burst PRS Special 22 Semi Hollow and spoke to a PRS dealer, the one that I bought 3 of my previous 4 PRS Guitars asking them to speak to their Rep in regards to locating or at least hoping to get one in the near future by ordering one. However, the Rep told the dealer that no more Specials are being made and as such, could not and would not be able to get a Fire Red one in the future. My Dealer was also told that they couldn't get anymore of different colours - what's out there in shops is what's out there. This was just a week ago when I asked and found out on Friday.

This may be true for the UK or EU and the US may get any of the last ones to be made - remember this is just a Limited Edition and therefore PRS may well of finished the run of these completely (apart from any special orders - but the 'general' ones may well be finished) - inc for the US market. It may only be possible to have one made via Private Stock for example.

I was still relatively lucky to find one in my 2nd choice that I had been watching in case no Red guitars could be sourced and with an incredible top on it that hadn't yet been sold. Before anyone else could buy it, I immediately ordered and, I am happy too say, arrived today...

MNZdo85.jpg

t7ewlvo.jpg

As you can see, she is a beauty... In reality, these pics do look a bit 'brighter' than it does in real life - but in real life, she looks richer and I couldn't be happier!! Absolutely stunning instrument.

I haven't pushed the guitar yet - just the quick look over and some unplugged strums - let her acclimatise first but she is a great addition to my collection. She has 12 different Pick-up options so a LOT of variation and potential - can't wait to explore these

@Andy80 I wouldn't rule out a PRS Hollowbody. I know you said you have just sold one but a PRS Hollowbody is unlike many (of not all) Hollowbody guitars. For a start, its the same size and shape as a typical PRS and starts off with a solid lump of mahogany - like a regular PRS. Then the Mahogany is 'hollowed' out to form the sides. A solid maple cap is but on both the front and back - both carved like a regular Core PRS. Its not made like an Acoustic or other hollowbody where they use Laminate steamed wood bent to form the sides and pressed to form the top 'carve' (even if its not actually carved but moulded). In a LOT of ways, its more like the Solid body PRS but much lighter and more resonant. I Play Rock and a bit of Metal (Metallica is about the heaviest I play) on it and don't get the uncontrollable feedback that a 335 would or example.

The reason I mentioned it though was for a more 'left field' suggestion as it would bring a Piezo to your collection and add something you don't have. There is a lot of rock that has Acoustic parts to them and blending in the Piezo adds a bit of chime too. As I said, it was more of let field recommendation, something just outside of the expected but could of been something you hadn't considered.

I still think that either the PRS Special (if you can find one) or a Custom 24/24-08/P24 would be more advantageous based on what you have and what these guitars offer. I think the Paul's Guitar is great but on the other hand, its also quite similar to a Les Paul. The Humbuckers are different and more like quiet P90's so there is that - plus the Split coils are Single Coils without the volume drop or sounding more like a thin humbucker. It does have the fixed bridge that seem a bit hit and miss with some because they cannot adjust it - before even knowing whether they will ever need to adjust it - a bit like worrying about after-market Pick-Ups for it too because of the size but not really trying the guitar to find out what these PU's offer. If you want a 22 fret, standard HB guitar, there is the Cu22 (of you want a trem), 594 (if you want a fixed adjustable bridge and separate tone/volume) as well as the signature guitars - the DGT, Tremonti and Santana - if you are worried about after market PU's. Not saying you are someone who will be concerned about modifications but pointing out that people have the choice of other 22 fret PRS guitars that can give them more choice with after market parts if that is such a concern - leave Paul's alone as it is HIS current Signature model. Its a bit like complaining the Holcombe is 25.5" and has a Fixed bridge - if that's a concern, buy a Custom 24 as the Holcombe is built to Mark's preferences.

Anyway, I think I have written yet another Essay - all I can say is good luck in your search and hope to see your NGD when you make your purchase.

The special semi hollow is no longer available from my dealer (there may be one, not quite sure yet). Good points though. My Jr covers ground well with its single P90 which sounds superb. But I may go the 22 or 24 route since I really want to be able to get a different artist pack colour if i'm paying that price. as great as paul's guitar is.

The special semi hollow is no longer available from my dealer (there may be one, not quite sure yet). Good points though. My Jr covers ground well with its single P90 which sounds superb. But I may go the 22 or 24 route since I really want to be able to get a different artist pack colour if i'm paying that price. as great as paul's guitar is.

All I will say is that NONE of my guitars are 10top (or AP/WL/PS). All just 'regular' core guitars - as if a PRS is 'regular'. Point is, all mine would be considered 'entry' point on a Core PRS. Unless you really want something different, like different woods, PU's etc that will change the tone compared to more 'cosmetic' differences (pattern of the grain, colour etc), its up to you if you think the extra cost over an entry point core is worth it.

All I can say is that my guitars all look stunning and, in my opinion, some of mine look better than 10 top/AP guitars. Its a bit different if the woods (like Buckeye Burl or even Quilted Maple) but for just flame maple tops, I think mine have more character, more 'unique' looking because a LOT of 10 tops look alike with even striping across the whole top - almost as if someone used a ruler and drew stripes - but others may prefer that. All my guitars can be viewed here https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy if you want to see my collection - my Cu24 is a favourite and the HBii's 1 piece top and back is certainly unique...

Link doesn't work! But that burnt maple leaf in the other post....WOW jaw dropping.

Link doesn't work! But that burnt maple leaf in the other post....WOW jaw dropping.

Thank you - that's my latest and like I said, not even a 10top let alone an Artist Pack or Private Stock. I am not saying you shouldn't go for an Artist Pack or 10top if that's what you want and willing to pay for, just saying that you can find some 'jaw dropping' core models that you could have in your hands much sooner rather than waiting months for PRS to get round to building yours...

Maybe if you type the address into a web browser or just search for BAMozzy on the website, you can see my collection - if you want to of course.

Thank you - that's my latest and like I said, not even a 10top let alone an Artist Pack or Private Stock. I am not saying you shouldn't go for an Artist Pack or 10top if that's what you want and willing to pay for, just saying that you can find some 'jaw dropping' core models that you could have in your hands much sooner rather than waiting months for PRS to get round to building yours...

Maybe if you type the address into a web browser or just search for BAMozzy on the website, you can see my collection - if you want to of course.

Oh got it working! Lovely guitars... (love all the red!) My previous Cu24 was a 10 top black cherry and it was so nice. Beautiful quilt top but I sold it a few years ago.

Yeah I'm actually OK with the wait, gives me some time to pay it off slowly, take my time. I'm still thinking it over in any case. If my dealer can get a special I might think about that !

I’m one of the fortunate ones..I’m not affected by the 22/24 neck difference. I pick it up, and play it, and it all feels intuitive to me. There was a brief period when I went through an adjustment playing LP style guitars. Personally, I really can’t get used to the way Gibson guitars hang. That goes for LP’s, Firebirds, and any of their line with the horribly located strap buttons. It makes the guitar feel very unwieldy to me...and I don’t have a huge gut! Ergonomics to me, are very important. Most of the players I know, and have worked with, feel the same way.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine got me to play his 594, ( after twisting my arm..lol) and I found that it was as comfortable to wear, and play as any of my PRS’s..to my great surprise! So, now I’m on the hunt, and sometime in the next few months I’ll be celebrating a NGD! Anyway, play both, and it shouldn’t take you long to get used to it, the feel and the layout are the same. Don’t think about it...just play!

Back