Headscratcher: Gotoh Locking Tuners for SE HB2 Piezo

RiserGrease

Tried installing a set of Gotoh SG381 (ref: https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...d-locking-tuning-machine-pre-configured-sets/ ) and five of the six are easy drop-ins and they work fine, but the tuning machine for the Low E string... it seems the headstock is too thick for it, but ONLY in that specific location. I get the same results trying to install one of the other tuning machines in that spot.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why. I measured the thickness (11/16") and the SG381 set should fit with no problem, but the threaded bushing won't even grab the threads on the machine post. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Use PRS SE locking tuners? I installed a set of those in my SE HB Standard and it was a simple drop in...
I'm hoping to avoid having to buy another set, but it looks like that's what I'll be doing. I really like the Gotohs, particularly the color (cosmo black) which I don't think PRS offers.

I'm hoping to avoid having to buy another set, but it looks like that's what I'll be doing. I really like the Gotohs, particularly the color (cosmo black) which I don't think PRS offers.

I do like the Gotoh Cosmo black finish. I have a non PRS custom build with them on. Really nice stuff.

There’s a reason why Gotoh makes PRS tuners.

So for some mystical reason, the headstock on my SE HB2 Piezo is not a uniform thickness. This wouldn't be an issue except the slight difference is just enough to keep the two threaded parts from reaching each other. Gotoh bushings basically leave zero room for any manufacturing imprecision like this. Their bushing has a 10.5mm reach while the bushing for the original SE non-locking tuner is 13mm.

Luckily, the bushing threads are similar enough that they can be swapped. So I've got one chrome bushing and everything else is cosmo black. Fortunately it's almost impossible to notice without specifically examining each one. A little disappointed in Gotoh for cutting things that close, but the tuners are in and they (now) all work well.

DJRQFmM.jpg

Use PRS SE locking tuners? I installed a set of those in my SE HB Standard and it was a simple drop in...
I installed a set of these tuners on my SE HB2 Piezo and they work very well. The only issue I had installing them was that I attempted to use the original screws to install the new users which was not a great idea since they were too narrow to attach the new tuners tightly. I inserted a small piece of paper in each screw hole as a filler and the screws tightened up well. I have since read that if the screws that come with the new tuners are used everything works well.

Back