Have you ever bought an artist signature guitar mostly because you like the artist?

Generally, if you like the artist, you like his tone. So chances are you're going to like the tone of the guitar, assuming you want to play the same style.

I bought a 1992 CE 24 because I love Alex Lifeson's work on Counterparts. I bought a set of Eric Johnson Strat pickups off eBay because I love Eric Johnson's tone. I bought a Marshall SL-5 combo amp because I like Slash's overdriven tone.

In each of those cases, however, playability was not a factor. The 92 CE 24 has a wide-thin neck, which is my preference to begin with. I bought the EJ strat pickups because I specifically don't like the neck on his signature guitar; I just stuck 'em in my Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat. And my hands don't care about amps, so the SL-5 wasn't an issue.

So the answer is kind of "yes and no," isn't it?

I have not directly bought a guitar because of someone, but I feel better about the guitarist's name being on the headstock if I actually like / respect the artist. I have a bit of a kneejerk AGAINST artist models because I think on some level someone might see that signature and assume that you are trying to emulate that artist, or try to bucket you into a particular style of music by association.

E.G. - I don't play progressive metal, or even shred for that matter, but I dig my SE Akesson. I had to look up YouTube clips of Opeth. Then I though maybe people would think it odd for someone with a shredder signature guitar to be playing bluesy stuff. Then I thought that I think too much....

One of the first things that attracted me to the new ZM SE was the clip where he talks about just wanting to make a really cool guitar that you would walk into a shop and want to pick up and play because it was cool. That's what a signature model should be all about.

One of the first things that attracted me to the new ZM SE was the clip where he talks about just wanting to make a really cool guitar that you would walk into a shop and want to pick up and play because it was cool. That's what a signature model should be all about.

Agreed.

As I mentioned in my earlier post about the DG amp, Grissom's tone kind of fascinates me, and I do like the way he uses tone so musically in his playing.

It's that, more so than simply having a name associated with the amp, that made me want to listen to the clips on the PRS site, and later to buy the amp for my studio. But if you asked me before I thought about the question posed in the OP, I'd have said, "I probably wouldn't be interested in a signature instrument."

In thinking about this, I wondered if I'm simply too proud to acknowledge that I can be as influenced to look at a "name" instrument as a high schooler wanting to cop the vibe of his/her favorite rock star?

I mean, there really isn't anything wrong with having someone else's name on a product I own. My cars have product badges all over the place that aren't my name; all of my instruments have brand names on them, and lots of those brands are "people names." My clothing sometimes has some guy's name on it.

In the 90s I once had a Tom Petty limited edition Rick. I loved the wider fingerboard, the added binding trim, and the individually adjustable saddles. I liked Tom Petty's work, but mostly I just dug the guitar. But I was a little uncomfortable with the name on the guitar's pick guard. So I replaced the pick guard with a plain one. I can't explain why I did this, I mean, why go to such a length?

Maybe I thought it was too kid-like to keep a rock star's name on the guitar. David Grissom, well, he's more of a session cat, not a rock star, so maybe I find that more acceptable. Maybe I thought I was too cool to have a signature instrument. I really can't say.

Just random thoughts, I suppose.

Just random thoughts, I suppose.

I think I don't mind the Orianthi name atop her signature model because while I'm not a fan of hers, I do find it a little subversive to be playing a "girls" guitar, and because I find it to be most enjoyable to show up with it to a reggae session filled with super macho dreads (it's the sparked version). In contrast I just couldn't get down with the Tremonti guitar in part because I prefer DC models (although my Gucci-top is a SC... but come on.. It's Gucci!) but as Carl stated, I don't want people to think I'm way into Creed or anything... I'm so fickle about my outlandish personality and it's also apparently rather delicate. The rolled eyes I got from the members of an indie rock band I occasionally play with was a little too much for me in a genre that usually doesn't approve of PRS's in the first place...

But see? That's what I mean! I take pleasure in pushing some boundaries but then I shy away from pushing others. Les' car and clothing analogy doesn't really have the same impact on me because there are not really too many double-branded examples... I suppose I'd be faced with such a dilemma if BMW put out a Bob Marley car (love the guy, hate the car) or if Dior put out a Dave Mathews line of slacks (Love the brand, not a fan of the dude) but since guitars and sports equipment seem to be the the markets that use signature names for marketing purposes the most I'll hopefully never have to find out...

I do kinda want a Sean John Navigator though... That would make me smile.:girl:

Last edited:
Funny but I wouldn't have a problem owning and being seen with a Trini or 67 Barney Kessel, but would a Joe Perry. Maybe because few know who Trini Lopez or Barney is these days. Maybe because they are just so damn cool.

Funny but I wouldn't have a problem owning and being seen with a Trini or 67 Barney Kessel, but would a Joe Perry. Maybe because few know who Trini Lopez or Barney is these days. Maybe because they are just so damn cool.

Right? But take that Trini and add Dave Grohl's name to it and it's no longer appealing to me.

Same here. I look at some sig models and they're just guitar X with a silly paint job and different pickups, nothing really special.
The other thing that I find ironic is the guys who got their sound by modding their own stuff or using something offbeat, then have others begging for a copy of the thing that made them unique.

I remember reading this and a short time later started modding.
http://jasobrecht.com/eddie-van-halen-complete-1979-interview/

But the main reason I did that [built my own guitar] was to have something that no one else had. You know, I wanted it to be my guitar, an extension of myself. Just the other night – Christmas Eve – I went to the Whisky. A band called the Weasels was playing, and the lead guitarist had a guitar exactly like mine. I just don’t understand how someone could walk onstage with my guitar, because it is my trademark. You know, when people see a freaked-out striped guitar like that, with one pickup and one volume knob, they obviously know it’s mine.
Eddie Van Halen.

Last edited:
The list goes on and on, but here's a few that come to mind.

LP Custom cause of Zakk Wylde
Ibanez Universe black/green cause of Trey from Morbid Angel
Fender Jazz Master cause of J. Mascis
Assorted PRS cause of assorted artists

I really try to resist for many of the reasons cited above, but sometimes the amp/guitar in question is based on a model so unique, and so well executed I can't pass them up. These are instruments special in their own right, just with famous associations. Currently residing in my studio are:
Clapton Strat (Todd Krause MB)
Gibson Skinner Burst LP (Bonamassa)
Gibson Warren Haynes 335
Duncan 35 TeleGib (Jeff Beck)
MESA King Snake (Santana)
PRS HX/DA (Hendrix/Allman)
PRS "Siggy" #59/100 (Multiple artists...)
PRS Paul's Braz (PRSh)
PRS Brent "Monster"

As noted earlier...the Gilmour is gone...

My first PRS was a Johnny Hiland model and I had no idea who he was when I bought it. I bought it for the playability and neck feel, a bit for looks (really nice whale blue flame). I found the tone usable while I was just playing solo, but once I started playing it in a classic rock band, the neck pup was a bit too thin for my tastes. So it was actually his signature tone that made me get rid of the guitar rather than buy it to begin with.

Hey guys,
I would never buy a guitar just because someone I liked name is on it, but if it makes you play more, thats all that matters! Some of the signature guitars have rare and unique features (like the Robben Ford Ultra Spruce and the Carvin Gambale and Holdsworth models) that you can only find on those guitars, and can make them very appealing!

My first Strat was a hard tail always wanted another got a Robert Cray because it was the only hard tail Strat I could find I will prob get another nothing like a hard tail Strat also love the vintage neck with no skunk stripe :)

Had Tremonti SE not because I knew who MT was because it got a great write up and I tried it.

I did. I've always loved that fat, creamy tone that Santana was known for, and bought a Santana. I like a lot of his music as well, but the tone is what really grabbed me.

So while I still sound like myself playing it, the sounds I get, along with some occasional, wispy hints of Carlos coming through, make it a joy of a guitar to own.

I did. I've always loved that fat, creamy tone that Santana was known for, and bought a Santana. I like a lot of his music as well, but the tone is what really grabbed me.

So while I still sound like myself playing it, the sounds I get, along with some occasional, wispy hints of Carlos coming through, make it a joy of a guitar to own.

Wait...I played one and I sounded like myself.

How could you sound like yourself if I sounded like myself?

This is too confusing. ;)

Wait...I played one and I sounded like myself.

How could you sound like yourself if I sounded like myself?

This is too confusing. ;)

I played one and sounded just like Les. :iamconfused:

I'm disturbed about the wispy hints of Carlos coming through. Was it coming from the control cavity?

Back