Has anyone filled out their Private Stock "Dream" Sheet?

My PS , well there’s 3 of them :oops:

1. Take a DGT and put a stoptail bridge on it. And eliminate the 1 volume closest to the strings, so it’s 1 volume, 1 tone and add a Pauls Guitar pickup in the middle. 3 mini toggle coil cutters. 5 way Strat switch….:):)
2. McCarty (not a 594), with no neck binding, wide/fat neck, jumbo frets & Solid Rosewood neck….
3. Santana…. 25” scale , 22 frets. jumbo fretwire. stop tailpiece. solid rosewood neck

Last edited:
Not since they put the drastic restrictions in place.

Yeah, I was trying to remember what the restrictions were?

Personally, if I’m thinking PS, I’d be wanting to do a custom pickup and control layout, and I’m not sure that’s allowed anymore. 3 pickups, 2 volume, 1 tone, mini toggles, blade. Haven’t thought it out in great detail, but something like that.

My memory seems to recall that the new PS allowances are basically for woods and finish, and if that’s the case I’ll just grab a WL model and call it a day.
Why did they put in the restrictions?
Are they listed anywhere?

A guitar that delivers, a magic guitar, is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter so much what it looks like if it's a great one!
Oh I Agree...I Just Have Yet To See Anybody Spec Out An Ugly Plane Jane Private Stock.

Oh I Agree...I Just Have Yet To See Anybody Spec Out An Ugly Plane Jane Private Stock.
I tried to with my acoustic, but the PS team talked me out of it. For real!

I originally spec'd a plain, natural finish on the maple. I was so unconcerned with the wood grain, etc., that I simply asked my dealer to go to the vault and pick something out while he was at Experience in 2013. I didn't go.

He did pick nice looking wood, but he and Paul Smith tapped it for tone first. Same with the Adirondack top.

The birds, top inlays and binding were all standard on that model in PS. I didn't spec anything custom except the wood species. In fact, the birds, purfling and binding were standard on the regular, non-PS Artist model I had in cocobolo.

I didn't want to pull out a fancy-ass, custom-looking guitar at sessions. I wanted it to be a 'that sounds great' guitar. If it wound up looking like an SJ, more's the better. The only reason I ordered PS is that maple was only available in PS.

But I'll admit it is a pretty one, and I'm kinda glad they talked me out of the plain Jane thing.

There was one drawback to the whole experience of getting this PS; I wound up buying three more from PS runs the following three years. I was totally spoiled by the Tonare.

Last edited:
Mine would be korina body, flame maple top, rosewood neck, flame maple fingerboard, meteorite inlays. Teal fade. Smoked black hardware. RP pickup in the bridge. Lindy Fralin Blues Special neck pickup (yes, single coil). Piezo tremolo. The routes for the controls will look just like the current 24-08, but it'll be three way toggle, the volume will be a push/pull that splits the RP, the tone knob will actually be the piezo volume, one of the mini toggles will be a three way for the piezo, and the other mini toggle will be a Sweet Switch.

What are the restrictions?

Mine would be korina body, flame maple top, rosewood neck, flame maple fingerboard, meteorite inlays. Teal fade. Smoked black hardware. RP pickup in the bridge. Lindy Fralin Blues Special neck pickup (yes, single coil). Piezo tremolo. The routes for the controls will look just like the current 24-08, but it'll be three way toggle, the volume will be a push/pull that splits the RP, the tone knob will actually be the piezo volume, one of the mini toggles will be a three way for the piezo, and the other mini toggle will be a Sweet Switch.
This. No shot.:p:D

If you follow along with this forum, members have been getting NO’s to their order attempts.
Yet at the same time, it seems a dealer gets more wiggle room for some options when they order for stock.
It’s consistently inconsistent. As I said, submit an order and cross your fingers.
There is no set list of yes and / or no’s that I know of.

Last edited:
I have something in mind, but it's going to be some time before I can really think about going through with it. SC594 with Tremonti pickups, Rosewood neck, Birds of a feather inlay, locking tuners, Some kind of interesting blue top, maybe one piece quilt maple, natural back.

Nothing too fancy for me.

Last edited:
I originally wanted a 594 SCT with piezo. Upcharge was too much for me, so I compromised with a P245 Trem. It’s been my #1 go to ever since. Basically my own version of an Alex Lifeson LP, but with solid Braz neck (paired with 59/09s = sonic bliss) :)

I had asked for a tubular quilt top, but none were available at the time. This top is very 3D and the Ocean Mist Glow color worked out well for what I was going for. I even requested total ideal weight at 8lbs and PRS folks came in just under!

5150-C47-C-1-AE3-449-A-AB11-09-E6-EC9-BD90-A.jpg

2747-FA92-8-E98-4-A4-F-85-C4-A188-D41-BBB49.jpg

E9_C381_CE-_FA4_B-47_E0-_AD87-8_CC395_C89847.jpg

What are the restrictions?
I am just starting the process now. The Dealers can walk through the restrictions as you spec out the guitar. It seems they are clearly documented somewhere with the Dealers. I had a few items in mind that they were able to simply say "yes", "no, but the options available are...", etc. In previous/similar threads people note the closer you stay to an existing model the higher the likelihood of acceptance. This advice seems to be very close to reality. As I am simply looking for a Tremonti with a few cosmetic embellishments it has been less painful. Even with that narrow plan, there were a few options which seemed off limits. For example, I am enamored with the Birds of a Feather inlay and have dozens of pictures of different guitars with it, including many with different headstock patterns. The current restriction limits it to the base inlay package for Birds of a Feather, with the flying eagle. It does not appear to allow other headstock options. The Dealer is checking to see if that can be an exception, but that should give you an idea of how they are narrowing options.

Back