Has Anyone Ever Tried .008's on an SE Santana?

Gtr65

If so, I'd really be interested in how it worked out and if you had any issues with the nut, etc.

Thanks---I'd really appreciate the feedback

why would you want to do that? i find my santanta very comfy with .10's

i´m just courious

why would you want to do that? i find my santanta very comfy with .10's

i´m just courious
I love everything about this guitar except for what I perceive to be slightly high string tension, and I've got .009's on it now. Maybe I just don't have the finger strength I did 30 years ago. I'm just really itching to try .008's on this guitar. I'd really love to know that I'm not the first person to ever attempt it, and I'm also concerned about the nut slots from the factory being too deep for .008's.

I haven't played anything lighter than 10's in ages. Might need to check out the setup if it feels tension is more than usual for you cause Santana is a shorter scale.

I had SE Santanas in the past...were always one of my looser feeling guitars. Agreed that if it feels that tense there may be something else at work...

I noticed very significant tonality differences when switching string gauges on both my Santanas and CU24s. You will probably lose some of that wonderful neck pickup roundness with that thin a string. IMO it sounds lovely with .10s!

I am running 9s on my SE Santana, the EB Cobalts.
In fact I run the same strings on all of my guitars regardless of scale length, and they just feel right to me.

I ran 9s 40+ years ago, never did like 10s, and once tried the Extra Super Slinkies which are 8s I think, and they were to slinkie for me.

Well, I switched out the stock tuners on the Santana SE for Grover locking tuners, and then restrung with the Rev. Willy's .008 set. I had a couple of problems along the way---I put a bad kink in the High E string and had to ditch it for a single D'Addario plain steel .008 string that I had a couple of. Good thing, too, because when I was tightening it up to pitch, I apparently overshot "E" by a longshot because I ended up snapping the string. The 3rd one I tried went on without a hitch. I also went ahead and substituted a D'Addario .014 plain steel single for the set's .012 G string.

My first impressions of playing .008's for the first time in 29 years of playing: It was very strange. The A string (.030) seems too thin. So does the D string (.020)---very much so. The .014 G string had me wishing that I'd gone with a .015. Finally, the high E string is just pretty ridiculously thin.

I'm seriously considering switching back to .009's.

Back