Hands..........

SRP67

I have small hands and I'm starting to notice It on my first PRS I'm gonna give it a few weeks before return policy expires never had this Prob!em with my strats:(

Is it the width of the fretboard or the girth of the neck that seems to be bothering you?

Assume you are talking about your SE Santana which is a wide fat profile...

I have medium hands I guess, and although I can play the wide/fat neck like the SE Santana and my new Zach Myers has, I much prefer the wide/thin neck of my other SEs.
Hope you get this sorted out.
Maybe try an SE with the wide/thin neck like the Tremonti Custom or the Custom 24 and see how they feel to you.

I have small hands too. I have a dgt and an se clint Lowrey . Both have thick necks and don't cause me a problem. I would try tilting your wrist and make sure your thumb on your fretting hand is half way in between the neck. This will give you proper hand placement and still provide a good anchor. I sometimes don't even anchor and can still get the notes right...ok most times lol

The more I play, and for longer, I am finding that I actually prefer the WF/Pattern profiles for long stints.

For my hands, nothing beats the feel of an old-school WT that just "disappears" but for whatever reason, those seem to fatigue my hands more than the thicker necks these days.

One of the things that kept me from considering a PRS is the wide fat profile i found on the few i picked up over the years. My hands aren't small but i have a physical issue with my fretting hand and have always like thinner necks, at time i used to shave all my necks super thin ! I'm not longer that crazed about neck size, but i still go for reasonably thin necks. However, after owning the santana se for just under a week, it took me all of 2 days to come to find it's the first and only neck i've ever played this size that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, now i wouldn't want it any other way ! I almost didn't buy it because of that but i had a gut feeling it was the right thing to do and tnak god i did. I think in those couple weeks you have b4 returning it you just might get used to it and come to like it.

I have small hands but can only play the wide/fat or DGT carves comfortably. Find what works you and then buy all the things!

You could use your feet...

Jimi+Hendrix+JimiWoodstock.jpg

I think I have a hand on the smaller end of "medium", have you tried changing the position of your fret hand? IMHO, there is no "correct" way to hold a neck, just play what feels right to you, even if it means ticking your thumb in your palm to get to the lower strings. Maybe go try some other guitars and see if any of them feel better.

Back