Gut check before pulling the trigger - 594 or...?

iLookLikeElvis

Hi all. I'd like to pick up a core - my first PRS, preference for new but open to used - and am looking to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

I'm looking to bring some variety to what I've already got. My main instrument is an Alembic Further, which is extremely versatile with tone and has it's own particular sound. That's 25.5" scale, 24 frets, 2 piece fixed bridge, but also active electronics so requires battery changes every so often. I've also got an 1990 Strat *Deluxe Plus with the red/silver/blue Lace Sensors, which sounds like... a Strat! So another 25.5" scale, 22 frets, tremolo, etc. I had a Les Paul Standard years ago that I sold. I liked its tone but it just didn't excite me when I played it - it seemed to lack some magic - though lately I wish I still had it. I use a Mesa 5:50+ (and sometimes headphones via Fireface UCX as I've been dabbling with recording). I also like to tinker with tone: I'm not an "all knobs at 10" kind of guy.

So basically what I'm interested in is: scale length less than 25.5", 22 fret, no tremolo, splittable humbuckers. These are strong preferences rather than hard requirements.

This has all had me looking hard at the McCarty 594 as a reasonable choice. I've had a hard time locating one locally to try out, so I'm doing my best to do some hands-off research before proceeding.

So, that's my status quo: I'd like to hear some suggestions!

Thanks all,

Justin

Seems like a reasonable buy, given your interest.

Here’s how I am about the 594: I’ve played PRS for 29 years and have had a bunch, and have a similar bridge setup in a Singlecut PS model. Figured I had that type of tone covered already. When PRS put out the 594 Soapbar, I got one because I like Soapbars.

Within seconds of holding that neck and playing the Soapbar model, I knew I was in trouble. I bought a second 594 with humbuckers within a few days.

It’s just a wonderful guitar.

Custom 22 over here. If you are going used, the prices can be great for "case queen" condition instruments with stopbar tail pieces and a 25 inch scale. They are my guitar of choice at this point. may be something you want to play and see if it will do for you what you want. Be sure it has the McCarty switching system though. The five way rotary of the older models can be tricky to get to know. But the three way toggle with push/pull pot for coil splitting models are all over the place out there.

Whatever you get, please know, that we won't believe that you did it until we see pix or videos!!! Just saying.

Only thing there is, I guess you're limited in pup replacement choices if you ever want to go that route?

Well, if you get a Soapbar guitar you can install all kinds of aftermarket soapbar pickups, but sure, you’d have to mod the guitar to install full size humbuckers.

I suppose that’s kind of a commitment, but seems to me folks buy a Soapbar guitar because they want a guitar with Soapbar pickups.

It’s one of those purposeful choices, like choosing between a tractor and a bus. They’re both transportation, but they serve different needs.

Well, if you get a Soapbar guitar you can install all kinds of aftermarket soapbar pickups, but sure, you’d have to mod the guitar to install full size humbuckers.

I suppose that’s kind of a commitment, but seems to me folks buy a Soapbar guitar because they want a guitar with Soapbar pickups.

It’s one of those purposeful choices, like choosing between a tractor and a bus. They’re both transportation, but they serve different needs.

Sure. But you know, as a versatility option before I find myself a mile down the road of getting yet ANOTHER guitar and hiding from my wife!

The 594 is a wonderful instrument, and I thought I found the perfect Les Paul replacement when I got my MC594 (double cutaway). I decided to get a single cutaway SC594 and, to my surprise, it is even better at that sort of thing. The MC is a rosewood neck and has its own sound that I love, but the stock model SC nails that classic LP vibe and feel. I sold my favorite LP after getting the SC, it was that good.

If you want the best Les Paul out there, buy an SC 594.

I’m probably the only person on this forum that did not bond with the 594 neck profile. The thickness of the neck bothered my thumb. I tried so hard to become accustomed to it but couldn’t, I love the sound and scale of the guitar though. Unfortunately I had to let mine go. Remember I’m one person out of probably 10,000 who doesn’t like the neck profile. All I suggest is try one out first. I bought mine without playing it.

I’m probably the only person on this forum that did not bond with the 594 neck profile. The thickness of the neck bothered my thumb. I tried so hard to become accustomed to it but couldn’t, I love the sound and scale of the guitar though. Unfortunately I had to let mine go. Remember I’m one person out of probably 10,000 who doesn’t like the neck profile. All I suggest is try one out first. I bought mine without playing it.
Bummer that profile is not working for you. Glad you found what works though!

Sure. But you know, as a versatility option before I find myself a mile down the road of getting yet ANOTHER guitar and hiding from my wife!

Well, if you get a humbucker guitar, you will have more options. But you won't have soapbar pickups, though there are humbucker sized soap bars that kind-sorta sound like P-90s if you want to go that route.

I had to get both. I had the second one delivered when my wife was out of town so as to spare her the grief of having to yell at me. ;)

Back