Gut check before pulling the trigger - 594 or...?

I think I’m fortunate that I kept playing other brands through the years... Fender, Gibson, Carvin, and EBMM. It has kept me from being so neck-dependent with guitars. I switch back and forth now gigging the 513 and 594 and it’s an effortless swap. Jumping on the a Silver Sky takes half a song to adjust and we’re off to the races. I wouldn’t let a slight neck profile dimension difference be your deciding factor. It’s great to have preferences, but also beneficial to remain flexible and adaptable across instruments.

The neck is probably the one major question mark for me. On the one hand, I really like my Alembic's neck - it feels much sleeker than than a PRS wide/fat (the closest I've been able to sample to the pattern vintage). On the other extreme is my acoustic's neck (a Lowden) which is like a club - thick even for an acoustic - which is fine, but takes some playing time acclimate to. The Strat is wider than the Alembic and a bit thicker, and I don't mind that carve at all - after a minute or so I get used to it. So my hesitation is that the 594 will be a lot thicker than what I'm use to and will take some adjustment.

All that said, my interest in a PRS in general, and the 594 specifically, is in the difference one will bring, not the sameness. So I am willing to put the time in to get used to the feel (and sound!) of something different.

I guess this is all a long-winded version of saying that I am one of those players that has preferences but also generally not much problem adapting.

I’m probably the only person on this forum that did not bond with the 594 neck profile. The thickness of the neck bothered my thumb. I tried so hard to become accustomed to it but couldn’t, I love the sound and scale of the guitar though. Unfortunately I had to let mine go. Remember I’m one person out of probably 10,000 who doesn’t like the neck profile. All I suggest is try one out first. I bought mine without playing it.

So did you find another model that clicked for you?

EDIT: Ooops, didn't see your follow-up!

Back